Japanese Flowering Quince cuttings in training.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The outside temperature is 33 F at this time. I still have one California juniper to be wired but .... too cold to stay outside more than 20 minutes!! Because of that, I just looked at quince flowers. The flower buds have been growing very slowly due to cold weather. I took pictures of some of them.
IMG_1547.jpg IMG_1548.jpg

Another. Nothing specific!
IMG_1552.jpg IMG_1553.jpg IMG_1556.jpg IMG_1560.jpg IMG_1557.jpg IMG_1561.jpg
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one did not have any other flower colors yet, except the red! The red is always stronger than other colors! Let see what is coming next. These pictures were taken on 2/5/29
IMG_1271.jpg IMG_1272.jpg
Thụ Thoại

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This one did not have any other flower colors yet, except the red! The red is always stronger than other colors! Let see what is coming next. These pictures were taken on 2/5/29
View attachment 228640 View attachment 228641
Thụ Thoại
Beautiful! I am curious if the stronger red can or has lead to dominance and the limiting of other flower colours on the same plant. Reversal of form after grafting a dominant color on to the plant.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
River's Edge, post: 627685, member: 23025"]Beautiful! I am curious if the stronger red can or has lead to dominance and the limiting of other flower colours on the same plant.
Thank you. I don't think the red will suppress other colors. In this type of quince, if one branch has red flowers, it only had red flowers on that branch. But, if other branch has red, white, and white with red stripes, it will only has that kind of flowers, and I did not see the red suppress other colors in the same branch. However, for some reasons, the red flowers are always coming first!

Reversal of form after grafting a dominant color on to the plant.

I never try this before, because I always need other colors than the red. It means if I have to graft, I will graft the one with different color on the red one. I am planning to graft some of them this year, I will let you know what the result is.
( I have few Korean flowering quince which only has red only)
Thụ Thoại

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
River's Edge, post: 627685, member: 23025"]Beautiful! I am curious if the stronger red can or has lead to dominance and the limiting of other flower colours on the same plant.
Thank you. I don't think the red will suppress other colors. In this type of quince, if one branch has red flowers, it only had red flowers on that branch. But, if other branch has red, white, and white with red stripes, it will only has that kind of flowers, and I did not see the red suppress other colors in the same branch. However, for some reasons, the red flowers are always coming first!

Reversal of form after grafting a dominant color on to the plant.
I never try this before, because I always need other colors than the red. It means if I have to graft, I will graft the one with different color on the red one. I am planning to graft some of them this year, I will let you know what the result is.
( I have few Korean flowering quince which only has red only)
Thụ Thoại
Thank you, very interesting, there appears to be a very wide array of cultivars to choose from.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are welcome. Yes, there are.
I am thinking to graft Chojubai red, pink and white together in the near future! ;)
Thụ Thoại
That project has a lot of potential for spring beauty.
I have a special red Chojubai that has cork bark characteristics ( the parent plant did and it was a cutting) that i am hoping to propagate true to form. I am waiting for the bark to mature on my initial cutting before getting to excited. The parent plant ( owned by Michael Hagedorn ) is outstanding in form and the bark is a very special characteristic setting off the tiny red flowers in the early spring.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That project has a lot of potential for spring beauty.
I have a special red Chojubai that has cork bark characteristics ( the parent plant did and it was a cutting) that i am hoping to propagate true to form. I am waiting for the bark to mature on my initial cutting before getting to excited. The parent plant ( owned by Michael Hagedorn ) is outstanding in form and the bark is a very special characteristic setting off the tiny red flowers in the early spring.
Thank you. One of my friends told me he would get me a cork flowering quince.
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The outside temperature is 33 F at this time. I still have one California juniper to be wired but .... too cold to stay outside more than 20 minutes!! Because of that, I just looked at quince flowers. The flower buds have been growing very slowly due to cold weather. I took pictures of some of them.
View attachment 228622 View attachment 228623

Another. Nothing specific!
View attachment 228627 View attachment 228628 View attachment 228629 View attachment 228631 View attachment 228630 View attachment 228632
Thụ Thoại
The flower bud on this post opened this afternoon. This is a flower pattern to which I am waiting for!
877D00E9-80A8-469E-9DB5-103C82DA65A5.jpeg 0804979B-35D2-47E4-A39D-AD5EE152583E.jpeg 31B163D5-2A6F-458C-964C-F6C589DBDEF5.jpeg15BABA03-853A-406D-AAE4-2BEE36828DD1.jpeg 13737C26-B3B6-4A2D-BAA3-3B2520FD6892.jpeg

Another type of flower is on the same tree.
A678FAFD-D3F0-4939-A44E-BE2DF3008425.jpeg A90C7FB5-D63D-4DB5-B92F-67060684091E.jpeg
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom