Japanese Flowering Quince cuttings in training.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for sharing and taking the time to do so! Nice :)

Grimmy

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great trees and photos. Thanks for taking the time to share your great work with all of us!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the New Year day, this little one gives me another flower. Under against direct sunlight condition, the flowers are almost like Nichi-Getsu-Sei quince !!! Fantastic! I really like it!
IMG_5333.JPG IMG_5334.JPG

With light compensation, the color is back to original one!
IMG_5335.JPG

A lot of my quince start having flower bud swellings at this time!
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This Nichi- Getsu-Sei quince is surprisingly having one flower bud at lowest part of the tree.
IMG_5311.JPG IMG_5312.JPG

I can not get a better picture to show you a faint red line along one of its sepal edge (the arrow)
IMG_5313.JPG

What kind of flower pattern will it be?
Bonhe

the1only

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very nice Bonhe, some my quinces are budding and few already flowers. Happy New Year!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a couple contorted flower quinces that has flower buds all over. Very small still but it will be a treat when it blooming... providing the buds do not blast due to the cold we are having right now. I actually moved them into the unheated garage where all my 'not' hardy plants currently sat. If you look closer, they are right in left front of the picture.IMG_20180102_131944894.jpg

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple contorted flower quinces that has flower buds all over. Very small still but it will be a treat when it blooming... providing the buds do not blast due to the cold we are having right now. I actually moved them into the unheated garage where all my 'not' hardy plants currently sat. If you look closer, they are right in left front of the picture.View attachment 172886
I can see it. It looks really nice!
I don't place any tree inside in winter, even though tropical one such as hibiscus, pomegranate, ficus.
Bonhe

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello @bonhe

I have been reading up on Japanese quince this winter as I am interested in doing some experiments on mine this season , an article from international Bonsai was helpful , I have some larger branches I’d like to remove (older , woody) should they be airlayered , or can I take cutting with rooting hormone and expect anything , I will be doing woody cuttings from the previous years growth , which I am confident in rooting . Also will be taking some suckers I let run with attached roots . I will also try to saw the bottom part of the rootball, during reporting , and plant to see if it grows any suckers to create another clump . Any advice is appreciated as I enjoy your trees and sharing of experiences ,

?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello @bonhe

I have been reading up on Japanese quince this winter as I am interested in doing some experiments on mine this season , an article from international Bonsai was helpful , I have some larger branches I’d like to remove (older , woody) should they be airlayered , or can I take cutting with rooting hormone and expect anything , I will be doing woody cuttings from the previous years growth , which I am confident in rooting . Also will be taking some suckers I let run with attached roots . I will also try to saw the bottom part of the rootball, during reporting , and plant to see if it grows any suckers to create another clump . Any advice is appreciated as I enjoy your trees and sharing of experiences ,

?
Thanks for asking me those questions.
I would do airlayering for the big cut or woody branch.
You can take suckers with rootage for new plant, but it will not give you flowers right away. I took some suckers with root for new plants few years ago, and they still did not give me any flowers yet!!
It is a good idea to saw the bottom part of the rootball and makes it as an inverted cutting. It will give you very nice specimen later on.
Good luck
Bonhe

Top Bottom