Japanese Flowering Quince

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can’t believe I never made a thread about this tree, was so sure I did.
Anyways, back when it was V-day, I bought my lady a tree and as per usual, a stick arrived
98F4B7B1-7424-4EDA-A31B-B608FB5C302F.jpeg
But the stick came to life and started growing well
D47F1FCF-F16A-43DA-B1CD-8CF91EF11933.jpeg
2ACA8B33-307F-4E33-B5A4-5F24FB329C6F.jpeg
Really well
4D773064-825D-4E17-98EA-FA2CDE183632.jpeg
But then suddenly, out of the blue, it started hating me and it’s slowly committing tree suicide
7EA3798B-0E57-4049-9618-8881FB1B566A.jpeg
What am I doing wrong? The more I try to love it, the more it wants to die.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
‘The more I try to love it, the more it wants to die”....sounds like my first marriage.
Just a wild guess, but could you possibly have some sort of parasitic infestation in the roots? JFQ’s are notoriously susceptible to nematodes, for example.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It arrived here bare rooted, it was wrapped in a wet rag, and I used new clean soil

Should I replant it?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That is not Japanese flowering quince. Looks more of a cherry than quince. Looks like you still have one branch that might pull it through. Just watch on the watering as there isn't much leave to transpire the water from the soil anymore.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I tried, I failed.
I scratched the bark with my fingernail to look for green, but it’s already brown. I might keep watering it for a week or so because I’m in denial.
RIP
E34FBCE3-6E40-4C85-BD7E-96192C24E815.jpeg

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In the immortal words of Stewart Smalley, "Denial isn't just a river in Egypt".
My condolences--it always stings when you lose one. Looking at the bark and leaves again, I would agree that it is some sort of cherry. The puzzling thing is that almost all of the identified scourges or diseases for cherries display some sort of signal symptom on the leaves or twigs [shriveling, veining, spots, etc.] as opposed to the tree just abruptly dying. My money would be on a root issue. The most common fungal diseases that attack the roots, such as crown rot, are generally a consequence of too much water or long spells of wet weather. Their spores exist in almost all kinds of non-bonsai soil, including nursery soil. Let me know what the roots look like when you pull it from the pot.
Also, keep in mind that there are numerous fungal and bacterial infections that can be present for several months before the tree suddenly dies. [A friend described his uncle once as having the kind of heart attack "the first symptom of which is 'you're dead!"]. It is not inconceivable that despite you having done everything correctly for the time you've had it, the tree could have been doomed before you laid a hand on it.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, I tried, I failed.
I scratched the bark with my fingernail to look for green, but it’s already brown. I might keep watering it for a week or so because I’m in denial.
LOL! I too must go through the same denial.
Sorry for your loss.
The sooner you find a chaenomeles well anything to put in the pot, the sooner denial will pass. ;)

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If, when you look at the roots, it does appear to be a fungal problem, it might be a good idea to rinse the pot with a bleach solution, one part Clorox or its local equivalent to nine parts water, before using it again.

Top Bottom