Japanese garden how to books recommendations

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm looking for some book suggestions on building a small Japanese garden. I saw this one by Herb Gufstason ( I have a couple of his books in my book collection ) The Art of Japanese Gardens: Designing & Making ... by Gustafson, Herb Paperback .
Any thoughts, or ideas for some good books for small Japanese gardens.
Thanks

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Japanese Gardens of the Modern Era by Haruzo Ohashi is a pretty good book.
I highly recommend the four volume series Garden Views by Tatsui Teien Kenkyujo.
Vol 1 is Modern Japanese Gardens
#2 is Stone and Sand Gardens
#3 is Water and Stream Gardens
#4 is Tree and Moss Gardens
The four volume set has some garden schematic and wonderful pictures.
Also, about 30 years ago I was giving a bonsai developing demonstration ( very basic stuff) at Blandy Farm, the Virginia State Arboretum and I met a very charming lady named Maggie Oster who wrote a book on Japanese Gardens called "Reflections of the Spirit". She is a delight. She also has published many calendars with her photos. I wish I could put my hands on that book right now but it is not in my library of Japanese gardens presently.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm looking for some book suggestions on building a small Japanese garden. I saw this one by Herb Gufstason ( I have a couple of his books in my book collection ) The Art of Japanese Gardens: Designing & Making ... by Gustafson, Herb Paperback .
Any thoughts, or ideas for some good books for small Japanese gardens.
Thanks
Do a search on Tsuboniwa or Tsubo Niwa--that is the term for the small to tiny gardens in the courtyards of Japanese homes/etc. You can also search for books on "Japanese Gardens in small places" etc. and come up with results. With tsubo niwa, less is more.

You can also get ideas from Karensansui, or literally "dry gardens" where gravel is used to mimic water--which are typically (and wrongly) called "Zen Gardens" in the west.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, I have this book. I've found it among the most practical in that it gives instructions on how to do some basic projects.

Top Bottom