Japanese holly indoors?

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been reading a new book on bonsai and it claims that japanese holly grows successfully indoors. Ive read many bonsai books and Ive never seen this before,,,does any one have any input about this?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've been reading a new book on bonsai and it claims that Japanese holly grows successfully indoors
Whats the name of your book and who is the author? My big question would be does the author sell Japanese Holly. ;) I have never attempted it because the notion seems self defeating.

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the book claims the species needs very little light to thrive, and ideal for indoors. I was worried about the need for season change....maybe being an evergreen this isnt as much of a problem?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
the book is called Totally Bonsai by craig coussins
Ahhhhhh, well that explains a lot. I read that book many years ago as well. It was very humorous and it now sits as a jack for my printer.

In my opinion you could have spent your money on much better books. There are some good lists here on this forum. I would give the Holly a try and when it croaks , drop an email to Mr. Coussins asking for a refund on the book to cover your cost for the Holly ;)

In all seriousness Zappa. How many Hollies have you seen at the garden center marketed as an indoor plant? I'm sure some where, someone will prove that they can. Its my guess that its an exception to the rule and not the norm.

BigBill

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
In my extremely limited experience with japanese holly. I had one under my patio, for a week all the foliage fell off and it died. I very experience lady I work with that is a wonder with horticulture told me, That it died due to very limited/no sun exposure. So you could probably do it but you would need a really nice light setup.

Bill

Last edited:
Top Bottom