Japanese Holly

Reaction score
This past spring on my way home from Panama City, I finally gave in and bought a Japanese Holly Bonsai. Now please understand that I don't have what you would call a green thumb. I'd say it's more a mottled black and purple thumb of death. Yet somehow, I've managed not to kill the trusting and unsuspecting tree-in-a-pot. The instruction sheet I got with it said it was outdoor, water daily, full sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon. I recently bought a book on Bonsai that shows TWO species of Japanese Holly: one decidious and outdoor and the other evergreen and primarily indoor. I am thinking mine is more similar to the indoor variety and have brought it into the house. I keep it next to the lanai door where it still gets full morning sun and afternoon shade. However, I cannot be sure of the pedigree. How can I be sure I haven't consigned my first Bonsai to the smurf wood pile? (If I had any forethought, I'd have taken a picture to post.)
TIA
Jon

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Welcome. First, NO trees are indoor...they all grow outside, just not in every climate. There are lots of holly varieties. Likely, the two Japanese varieties that you refer to are crenata, which is evergreen, common, has small, thick leaves and is grown in warmer climates, and serrata, which is deciduous, uncommon; and the variety you typically see in the Japanese magazines in berry without leaves. Hopefully this helps. Photos may help with the identification...and good luck!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hollies ANY sort are not well-suited for indoor growing. Get it back outside.

Top Bottom