Japanese Hornbeam Age..Approx. 60 years

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
Hey guys , here is a Jap. Hornbeam I had for awhile and pretty much just left it in the shadows neglected. The top apex has died off, most likely due to the lowest largest branch stealing all the energy. I started forming a new apex and was considering carving of the deadwood and trunk or just chop at the new apex and start fresh. The nebari on this tree is hard to beat. Not sure if its allowed to ask this here, but I'm open to trades.hb.jpghb1.jpghb3.jpg

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Hmmmm not sure that an apical dominant tree would have its top die off because of lower branches "stealing energy" even if you let the bottom branches grow and suppressed the apical growth unless you really overdid it which would be hard on that kind of tree...

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
Hmmmm not sure that an apical dominant tree would have its top die off because of lower branches "stealing energy" even if you let the bottom branches grow and suppressed the apical growth unless you really overdid it which would be hard on that kind of tree...
I have a feeling it was caused from the previous owner, he tried numerous threads on the upper trunk and they all failed except for one.

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score

how would you tackle this tree?...any suggestions?

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know that I'm not expert at this, but I'll give it a shot.

That pot appears to be a bit over-sized for this tree. When I first look upon pic2, I'm halted by this large pot which seems to be over-powering the tree. The guide wire that is bending the tip of your first branch down seems a bit odd. Though It could be the angle. I've always thought that your branch tips should be faced upward. Somewhat like claws as I call them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
I know that I'm not expert at this, but I'll give it a shot.

That pot appears to be a bit over-sized for this tree. When I first look upon pic2, I'm halted by this large pot which seems to be over-powering the tree. The guide wire that is bending the tip of your first branch down seems a bit odd. Though It could be the angle. I've always thought that your branch tips should be faced upward. Somewhat like claws as I call them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

TY...You are correct, the pot is to large, I used this pot so the tree could regain some strength. The guide wire on the lower branch is not pulling down the tip as it appears in the pic, just the angle of the pic.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
how would you tackle this tree?...any suggestions?

Bummer, it has a nice base and primary branch.

From the first photo, it appears to have a new upper branch started just below the dieback, which can be allowed to run and serve to rebuild a new section of trunk. It will take a few years, but I'd keep it in the oversized pot, without repotting if it is still taking water.

Probably want to remove the ground cover and top dress with fresh soil. Lots of feed in the growing season, and let that new top run. It could put on 4' next year.

Carefully reduce the dead section in the spring so it can start to callus over. Ultimately, the cut should be angled toward the back so it's tapered and not visible from the front.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd probably bend the lowest branch the opposite way (UP and anchored to the dead wood & trunk above it) and develop it as the new leader...then chop everything above after.

I know I am weird this way. :D LOL

Top Bottom