Japanese imports on ebay

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Anyone seen the crazy amount of imports that bonsai smith/ Brussels has listed recently? They are super nice but if that is truly the cost to acquire a piece such as those posted I guess I will always deal in crap bonsai. Cool to look at though.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/182123661028

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Even the "crap bonsai" from that seller seem to be pretty inflated. Skinny little azaleas and tridents for $150? No thanks.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone seen the crazy amount of imports that bonsai smith/ Brussels has listed recently? They are super nice but if that is truly the cost to acquire a piece such as those posted I guess I will always deal in crap bonsai. Cool to look at though.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/182123661028
Yes, they got in a big shipment back in January. It's expensive to undertake an operation like this. There's another thread here where the costs of doing this were discussed.

By way, Mercedes- Benz vehicles are expensive, too. Chevrolet, I believe makes less expensive automobiles.

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ya know - if i could make what i make selling bonsai - id be doing that instead.

for what its worth - i bought from a dealer once who was talking about some people who would complain about prices (his werent unreasonable either by the way). showed me a tree that he knew he could vouch for the number of years under his care - came out to be about 30 bucks a year for each year of care. not enough profit for me - so im thankful for those who can stay in the business and still make it somewhat affordable to some.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Actually, the prices on those imports are quite reasonable. There's already another thread on this board discussing these trees and prices, so no sense rehashing it here.

There are different levels of bonsai hobbyists. Some people want great trees. Other people just want trees. Sometimes "want" isn't the issue and "afford" is the issue. Whatever the situation, high quality trees are expensive, either through the money you pay to buy one, or the time and effort you spend to create one.

There are 2 givens in this hobby: 1. Good bonsai don't grow on trees; and 2. You don't need good bonsai to enjoy bonsai as a hobby. To the second point, there are many people on this forum who enjoy bonsai but will never have a single good bonsai. That doesn't mean they should quit the hobby.

Here's a Japanese Black Pine listed for $6800. Is it worth it?
Try growing one like it and then answer.

s-l500.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, they got in a big shipment back in January. It's expensive to undertake an operation like this. There's another thread here where the costs of doing this were discussed.

By way, Mercedes- Benz vehicles are expensive, too. Chevrolet, I believe makes less expensive automobiles.

Just to clarify, my comment wasn't about the imported stuff - I don't play in that league. The regular stuff seems pricey compared to what you can get for the same money from other sources - say from someone like Zach Smith or Julian Adams.

And for whatever it's worth, I would rather have the Chevy.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
To me no....could I buy it..I guess I could...would i...no.....what fun would that be.. just working on ramification for a while..then MAYBE move or remove some branches one day or a slight restyle..this one doesn't seem like you could take it in any radical direction? I guess you could ?...Meh no fun..pretty.yes don't get me wrong...I'm going to work on developing what i have here.

Actually, the prices on those imports are quite reasonable. There's already another thread on this board discussing these trees and prices, so no sense rehashing it here.

There are different levels of bonsai hobbyists. Some people want great trees. Other people just want trees. Sometimes "want" isn't the issue and "afford" is the issue. Whatever the situation, high quality trees are expensive, either through the money you pay to buy one, or the time and effort you spend to create one.

There are 2 givens in this hobby: 1. Good bonsai don't grow on trees; and 2. You don't need good bonsai to enjoy bonsai as a hobby. To the second point, there are many people on this forum who enjoy bonsai but will never have a single good bonsai. That doesn't mean they should quit the hobby.

Here's a Japanese Black Pine listed for $6800. Is it worth it?
Try growing one like it and then answer.

s-l500.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just want to make sure you guys know you're talking about Matt Smith. He has a very nice collection and the trees he offers for sale are priced fairly based on others I've seen. Expensive? Yes, but you get what you pay for.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Both will get you to work on time.
Point made, but JFTR, Chevy, Ford, Toyota... Want as much for their new cars as a Benzo. You can drop $50-60k on a new Silverado EASY! I can buy a 3 series for less than that last I checked!

Now a new TESLA, that will set you back! LOL. ;)

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Both will get you to work on time.
Point made, but JFTR, Chevy, Ford, Toyota... Want as much for their new cars as a Benzo. You can drop $50-60k on a new Silverado EASY! I can buy a 3 series for less than that last I checked!

Now a new TESLA, that will set you back! LOL. ;)
We have loaded out Suburbans that are just shy of $100,000 (I work at a Chevrolet Cadillac Buick GMC Dealership). The quality just wasn't there for the domestics until recently. I get to drive them all and would put a domestic up against an import any day of the year. And you can take that to the bank. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
We have loaded out Suburbans that are just shy of $100,000 (I work at a Chevrolet Cadillac Buick GMC Dealership). The quality just wasn't there for the domestics until recently. I get to drive them all and would put a domestic up against an import any day of the year. And you can take that to the bank. :)
I guess that's personal preference too, then. I've owned GM pretty all my life. I've owned one Audi. There is absolutely no comparison. I've never driven or ridden in a GM vehicle that can compete with the quality, finish and performance of the Audi. My wife was an engineer at GM for many years. I own 4 GM vehicles as I write. There is no comparison. But that doesn't mean I'd rather drive an Audi. I'm pretty comfortable in most vehicles, and prefer to drive one that I don't mind getting roughed up....

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess that's personal preference too, then. I've owned GM pretty all my life. I've owned one Audi. There is absolutely no comparison. I've never driven or ridden in a GM vehicle that can compete with the quality, finish and performance of the Audi. My wife was an engineer at GM for many years. I own 4 GM vehicles as I write. There is no comparison. But that doesn't mean I'd rather drive an Audi. I'm pretty comfortable in most vehicles, and prefer to drive one that I don't mind getting roughed up....
If I may ask, how old are the current 4 that you own now? I have a 2005 Silverado SS and a 2016 Silverado Crew Cab. In those short 11 years the quality, ride and fitment of the 2015 is absolutely miles and miles ahead of the 2005. However, the SS is a lot more fun to drive :D

Edit: I'm not taking anything away from Audi. They are indeed fantastic automobiles as well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
.....what fun would that be.. just working on ramification for a while..then MAYBE move or remove some branches one day or a slight restyle..this one doesn't seem like you could take it in any radical direction? I guess you could ?...Meh no fun..
There is much more to refining and keeping refined a quality bonsai. Its very challenging and rewarding. No offense intended, but I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To me no....could I buy it..I guess I could...would i...no.....what fun would that be.. just working on ramification for a while..then MAYBE move or remove some branches one day or a slight restyle..this one doesn't seem like you could take it in any radical direction? I guess you could ?...Meh no fun..pretty.yes don't get me wrong...I'm going to work on developing what i have here.
Actually, that JBP needs quite a bit of work! A complete wiring for starters. It looks like the bottom left branch was damaged in shipment, and they cut part of it off. So a new leader needs to be wired into place. It also looks "leggy", so a cutback is indicated. There may or may not be good interior branches to cut back to. Again, needs wiring.

Problem is, it's stuck where it is for two years. And the problems (leggyness, lack of interior branches, etc) will be worse in two years.

If I were to purchase this tree, I'd want to be able to wire it this fall. Travel to Memphis, pull old needles and wire it and leave it until the following July, then decandle, then come back to pull needles the following November.

Can you do that while its in quarantine? Doubtful. I could probably come visit, but not work on it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is much more to refining and keeping refined a quality bonsai. Its very challenging and rewarding. No offense intended, but I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.
Amen!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
If I may ask, how old are the current 4 that you own now? I have a 2005 Silverado SS and a 2016 Silverado Crew Cab. In those short 11 years the quality, ride and fitment of the 2015 is absolutely miles and miles ahead of the 2005. However, the SS is a lot more fun to drive :D

Edit: I'm not taking anything away from Audi. They are indeed fantastic automobiles as well.
Oh, there is no doubt GM has improved dramatically over the years. My point was that current GM gets smoked by current Audi in all facets, except maybe price. I currently have a loaded 2015 Lacrosse, 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali crewcab that is loaded and upgraded, 2012 Malibu and 1999 Chevy extended cab that was loaded in 1999. I've owned many other GM cars. None of them compare favorably to my 2008 Audi S8 in terms of quality, finish or performance. I love my 2013 GMC but its quirky, and the design and style is pretty rudimentary for a $60,000 vehicle.

Reactions: Vin

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Everyone's got a butthole as we all know just like an opinion. But for 6800 I would find more enjoyment out of working with a less developed tree...more rewarding to me, yes getting a tree at this stage is great and grand never said it wasn't if you go back and read my post. But not worth 6800 to me. Is the demand for$ 6-10000 trees really that high? I don't know that's why I'm asking. And I don't know you so you have no idea what I know or do not. No offense in any of this. It is a forum everyone is entitled. Do you really sell alot of 3-8000$ trees, I see yours are pretty steep too. That is understanding the cost of all this mess to even get them of course save you some words and anger.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Everyone's got a butthole as we all know just like an opinion. But for 6800 I would find more enjoyment out of working with a less developed tree...more rewarding to me, yes getting a tree at this stage is great and grand never said it wasn't if you go back and read my post. But not worth 6800 to me. Is the demand for$ 6-10000 trees really that high? I don't know that's why I'm asking. And I don't know you so you have no idea what I know or do not. No offense in any of this. It is a forum everyone is entitled. Do you really sell alot of 3-8000$ trees, I see yours are pretty steep too. That is understanding the cost of all this mess to even get them of course save you some words and anger.
If you want to see some expensive trees, head over to Ryan Neil's website.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Oh, there's no anger here. And I was not commenting on your enjoyment whatsoever. You do bonsai for your own enjoyment and I'm no one to judge that. In fact, I have a great affinity for working on trees that are basic, low quality, undeveloped and probably never going to be grand. I love growing and developing low end trees, and trying to make them into something nice. Its fun and I enjoy it. My comment pertained only to your characterization of working on a quality, developed tree. That's all.

Top Bottom