Japanese Juniper foliage turning brown

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fairly new to the art, I've got a Jade and 3 Picea Gluca going strong but I'm having issues with my Japanese juniper. The ends of the foliage is turning a dull brown. I live in The 5b usda zone just south of Denver, Colorado,Usa. I was told by the owner of the nursery to not put the little guy outside this winter. I water it once a day typically, and it gets 9 hours of artificial light per day. typically 65-70 degrees with very little humidity. My only thought on why its turning brown is because its inside and warm when it should be dormant. Any help would be appreciated20201224_142513.jpg20201224_142541.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Brown tips can result from a range of different factors:
Too much water
Too little water
Pests

Water once a day sounds like a lot for indoors. Too much water can cause fungi to attack the roots - root rot. If the soil is not dry don't water that day.

Many pests seem to love the conditions indoors and will breed prolifically. Check for tiny spiderwebs in the foliage (mites) or tiny lumps on the leaves and stems (scale insect) Try tapping a branch over a sheet of white paper then look on the paper for tiny moving insects or tiny black dots of poo. If you find anything you will need to work out what pest it is as treatment is different for different bugs.

A couple of my junipers went brown this spring from lack of water but as you are watering every day indoors I doubt that's your issue now.

Lack of light can also be a factor with junipers. They really love lots of light so your tree should probably be near a large window while it is inside. Many people who keep bonsai indoors use a grow light to provide enough quality light to keep the trees healthy.
I would have thought Junipers would cope with outdoor temps in Denver but I will defer to growers closer to you for better local knowledge.
good luck with the bonsai journey.

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Brown tips can result from a range of different factors:
Too much water
Too little water
Pests

Water once a day sounds like a lot for indoors. Too much water can cause fungi to attack the roots - root rot. If the soil is not dry don't water that day.

Many pests seem to love the conditions indoors and will breed prolifically. Check for tiny spiderwebs in the foliage (mites) or tiny lumps on the leaves and stems (scale insect) Try tapping a branch over a sheet of white paper then look on the paper for tiny moving insects or tiny black dots of poo. If you find anything you will need to work out what pest it is as treatment is different for different bugs.

A couple of my junipers went brown this spring from lack of water but as you are watering every day indoors I doubt that's your issue now.

Lack of light can also be a factor with junipers. They really love lots of light so your tree should probably be near a large window while it is inside. Many people who keep bonsai indoors use a grow light to provide enough quality light to keep the trees healthy.
I would have thought Junipers would cope with outdoor temps in Denver but I will defer to growers closer to you for better local knowledge.
good luck with the bonsai journey.
I have noticed a few strings of thin webbing between the foliage. They were there when I got the plant from the nursery. I'll try the paper technique tomorrow and I'll see if I shake anything out! I might also try less water ass well and see if that helps at all!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Less water may help kill it!

Welcome to Crazy!

Escpecially if mites are getting most of the liquid.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Junipers inside over winter = bad news right off the bat. Selling one that has had its roots disturbed in late summer might be the reason, but that's a questionable practice. That could contribute to the new growth being in a state recovered from the root work and ready to grow, but at the wrong time of the season. When left outdoors in the proper conditions of full sun through late summer diminishing photo period, cooler temps, and dryer environment it would stop growing and be prepared for winter by the time freezing weather arrived. That autumn preparatory period is 3 or 4 months long beginning about ~August 21st. It also sends the bugs and disease into inactivity, so secondary reasons for that look also diminish. Autumn is useful in the health of the plant. If the plant came from Florida, common in the east, or California maybe more common in the west, that may be the reason for advising indoors 1st winter, but then it should have been treated for pests and given a systemic and not repotted after spring. In any event, the plant looks to me, IMHO to be dead by April. But then, what do I know?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Unheated storage would be better than indoors I believe. Packed under snow would be OK too.
I know procumbens is kept outdoors in some of the coldest regions of Europe.

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Junipers inside over winter = bad news right off the bat. Selling one that has had its roots disturbed in late summer might be the reason, but that's a questionable practice. That could contribute to the new growth being in a state recovered from the root work and ready to grow, but at the wrong time of the season. When left outdoors in the proper conditions of full sun through late summer diminishing photo period, cooler temps, and dryer environment it would stop growing and be prepared for winter by the time freezing weather arrived. That autumn preparatory period is 3 or 4 months long beginning about ~August 21st. It also sends the bugs and disease into inactivity, so secondary reasons for that look also diminish. Autumn is useful in the health of the plant. If the plant came from Florida, common in the east, or California maybe more common in the west, that may be the reason for advising indoors 1st winter, but then it should have been treated for pests and given a systemic and not repotted after spring. In any event, the plant looks to me, IMHO to be dead by April. But then, what do I know?
Would it be too late to set outside with my Spuce trees in the wintering pot, then? I can easily plant the little guy outside, but would the shock of warm to freezing kill the little guy?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't know. This is awful late to begin adapting a plant to winter. As I said August is when the intensity of sunlight has shifted to a lower intensity to the point where plants begin the transition from strong growth to preparing for winter. You are 4 months late. It is a crap shoot. It belongs in ~34°F to ~39°F for some months to rest and be ready for the next growing cycle. Do you have such a place?

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know. This is awful late to begin adapting a plant to winter. As I said August is when the intensity of sunlight has shifted to a lower intensity to the point where plants begin the transition from strong growth to preparing for winter. You are 4 months late. It is a crap shoot. It belongs in ~34°F to ~39°F for some months to rest and be ready for the next growing cycle. Do you have such a place?
Unfortunately I do not. not anywhere that gets light anyways. Oh well, I suppose. Worst comes to worst I have a empty pot, and will have learned from my mistake! I appreciate your insight on the matter!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
not anywhere that gets light anyways

Would it be too late to set outside with my Spuce trees in the wintering pot, then
Do you have such a spot where it does not get light?

I think I would pop it there for a bit. Maybe 2 weeks. And thendig a big hole in the snow and put it in. Assuming you have real winter.
Main question, what is the weather like and what do you expect the next 2 months?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Unfortunately I do not. not anywhere that gets light anyways. Oh well, I suppose. Worst comes to worst I have a empty pot, and will have learned from my mistake! I appreciate your insight on the matter!
Light is not required. Describe what you have access to.

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you have such a spot where it does not get light?

I think I would pop it there for a bit. Maybe 2 weeks. And thendig a big hole in the snow and put it in. Assuming you have real winter.
Main question, what is the weather like and what do you expect the next 2 months?
We definitely have winter here in Colorado, the problem is that we swing from sub 0 to 60f in a mater of days pretty regularly. I set it outside with my spruce trees cause were expecting 40s and 50s for the next few weeks. it typically cools down considerably in January and February though. I can put it in my storage area, the only problem there is that it stays about 5 degrees warmer there than outside. the only other option I have is my refrigerator.

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Light is not required. Describe what you have access to.
Just a food refrigerator that stays about 34 and a dark storage unit that stays about 5 degrees warmer than outside. were expecting 50s for the next two weeks unfortunately.

Top Bottom