Japanese Juniper Wintering

ptrsen

Seedling
Reaction score
I recently received a Japanese Juniper as a gift. I believe it is apx. 8 years old. This tree was shipped from Florida. I live in N. Wisconsin. I assume that this tree was raised in Fla. My Question is; Should I still keep this tree outside unless it gets colder than 15 degrees, F.? I also have an attached unheated garage with almost no light and it stays 15-20 degrees above out side temps. Or can this Florida tree be kept indoors in the sun. Am a newby and this is my first Bonsai. Thanks for any input. brad

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a difficult pickle to have created for yourself!

Chances are your local Cheese eating nurseryman will have something better for you come spring.

Proper for your zone. Likely unstyled leaving you more options. And almost definitely cheaper with no shipping costs.

Welcome to Crazy!

Next!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a difficult pickle to have created for yourself!

Chances are your local Cheese eating nurseryman will have something better for you come spring.

Proper for your zone. Likely unstyled leaving you more options. And almost definitely cheaper with no shipping costs.

Welcome to Crazy!

Next!

Sorce
That was really helpful.

Coming from Florida to Wisconsin.
I would try to limp it along inside until it's warm enough to put outside. South facing window,no heaters blowing on it and mist whenever I could. Maybe a supplemental plant light over top of it.

ptrsen

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Think I will keep it inside for awhile and give it some tastes of the outdoors when the weather gives us a few warmer days. Maybe next winter I could ease it into colder temps gradually. Thanks. I appreciate the help. I think that most people believe Bonsai trees are meant for the inside as I did and my daughter, who sent me the tree. brad

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the input. Think I will keep it inside for awhile and give it some tastes of the outdoors when the weather gives us a few warmer days. Maybe next winter I could ease it into colder temps gradually. Thanks. I appreciate the help. I think that most people believe Bonsai trees are meant for the inside as I did and my daughter, who sent me the tree. brad

@ptrsen Welcome to the site!

Bonsai trees are trees. Don't confuse them with house plants and you won't go wrong. If you wanted to keep a white oak as a bonsai, you would need to treat it the same as a white oak in your yard - though you would need to make minor allowances for the fact that the tree is in a pot and the roots would need a little more winter protection than a tree growing in the ground. If you dug up a white oak from your yard and tried to keep it as a house plant (indoors all year long) you wouldn't be successful - they actually NEED the cold.

That said, one of my bonsai friends kept a large tropical ficus bonsai in Chicago quite successfully. He would put it in his backyard all summer long, and then when night temps dropped into the 50's he would move it into his kitchen for the winter.

ptrsen

Seedling
Reaction score
I am going to start leaving tree outside unless bitter cold and see if I can turn it into a Northern zone Juniper. Next question; What about watering? I don't water the trees in my yard.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am going to start leaving tree outside unless bitter cold and see if I can turn it into a Northern zone Juniper. Next question; What about watering? I don't water the trees in my yard.

Welcome!

Yes tree's in the ground have roots deep enough to be able to get water out the ground
tree's in pots need to be watered whenever the soil dries up try to keep the soil moist and not soaking wet

ptrsen

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Will let you know this summer how my Florida tree does in Wi.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Next Winter is more concerning than this Winter given your choice of method is successful this Winter.
http://www.wisconline.com/almanac/gardening/hardiness.html
Flush the soil well to remove any nutrients from recent feedings. Time release pellets are typical
and may pose a slight issue to make an attempt at dormancy.

Personally, talking about a single bonsai, given the circumstances, that unheated garage with a $15 seed germination heat mat underneath
would suffice. Unplug it when it warms in there. Also Winter dormancy requires little light if any. I've never had to do that, but on occaision
I too miss healing mine into the ground, and move them into my crawl space sometimes for weeks at a time to avoid the harsh drying winds in the teens to below zero.
Much like your garage, except my crawl space rarely goes below 35 F. and never any light. We had -18F here 2 yrs ago.

As mentioned, they still can dry and need routine checking for available moisture, which usually you'll find is much less frequent in Winter.
A protected cold frame bonsai needs more frequent waterings than in ground per experience. Snows and rains typically keep them hydrated,
but Winter droughts are common place. Wisconsin says a lot for demanding criteria for a plant. Mulching it heavy, healed into the ground in a protected
location outdoors should serve your new bonsai well. Some pots will crumble eventually. Cannot go wrong with mica pots healed in.
But that's later. Your current issue however does propose a challenge that you'll be able to help others with eventually.
It's next Winter I'm concerned with given your -25F. possibility and a possible 8 yr old bonsai from Florida.
Best of luck on the journey.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's next Winter I'm concerned with given your -25F. possibility and a possible 8 yr old bonsai from Florida
If left out all next year it will acclimate itself to minus 25 easily.
Don't baby it. It will naturally get with the program.
I've yet to lose a juniper to cold. It gets 20 to 30 below for long periods of time here. They're now so cold hardy that they hardly get bronze anymore. I have procumbens nana,shimpaku and Parsons junipers.
My trees are all outside. I wait until theyre frozen then I put them on a bed of mulch and cover them up to the first branch. Around Thanksgiving.Then I walk away. I don't need to water until they thaw in spring.
My only concern is voles. From my experience they are way more destructive than any cold weather.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If left out all next year it will acclimate itself to minus 25 easily.
Don't baby it. It will naturally get with the program.
I've yet to lose a juniper to cold. It gets 20 to 30 below for long periods of time here. They're now so cold hardy that they hardly get bronze anymore. I have procumbens nana,shimpaku and Parsons junipers.
My trees are all outside. I wait until theyre frozen then I put them on a bed of mulch and cover them up to the first branch. Around Thanksgiving.Then I walk away. I don't need to water until they thaw in spring.
My only concern is voles. From my experience they are way more destructive than any cold weather.
Hi Mike. Yeh I would have been cautious next couple Winters worried about the recent origin. Good to know.
I figured it would get babied this Winter, and one years babying done right, should be alright, so I figured
the tree would make it to next Winter nice and strong from this years growth.
I've never lost any trees to the cold either, but to a cold frame...I lost many one year. I guess they transpired.
Anyway, they certainly dried up with frozen roots. The ones on the bottom on plastic wrap where snow and water rested,
those survived. I pit near gave up, but the surviving ones what 3 or 4 that made it, were survivalists and are still with me.

So we can just put these on the mulch...mulch, and not have to heal into the ground? This is wonderful news to me and my poor back.
We've added a sun room that stole my over wintering location on the protected side of the house. Under there, on dry ground
will now be my wintering location.

I have heard that termites do not like cypress mulch. Is there a preference you have? We have termites, particularly where I overwinter.

ptrsen

Seedling
Reaction score
You all have been very helpful. This has been a great learning experience. I plan on buying 1 or 2 more in the spring weather this one makes it or not. I know now to get them from climates that are similar to mine. brad

Top Bottom