Japanese Juniper

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone !! I'm from Houston Tx. My wife gave me a juniper as a present yesterday. I have zero knowledge about bonsai, although I like them a lot. I just ordered a book to learn the basics, but any advice and info would be really appreciated. I'd like to know about the dormancy period, what to do and what to avoid. Houston has a very hot summers, and the winter usually it's around 40's or 30's.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You get cool enough in winter for them to have a semi dormancy, kinda hard to explain. But to make it more simple, procumbens junipers are hardy in zones 4-9 meaning it can handle winters with Temps down to -30°f and they can still live in climates where the winters hardly drop below 40°f.

Aaron

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You get cool enough in winter for them to have a semi dormancy, kinda hard to explain. But to make it more simple, procumbens junipers are hardy in zones 4-9 meaning it can handle winters with Temps down to -30°f and they can still live in climates where the winters hardly drop below 40°f.

Aaron
Thank you very much. I'm really looking forward to learn the basics and get more bonsai trees. I'll send you a pic, it looks to me that some pruning or pinching is required. Can be done at this point or should I wait until next spring ?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you very much. I'm really looking forward to learn the basics and get more bonsai trees. I'll send you a pic, it looks to me that some pruning or pinching is required. Can be done at this point or should I wait until next spring ?
Fall and winter is the best time to wire junipers, pruning can be done pretty much at any time of year except for their in their coldest zones. Always remember, never remove more the 1/3-1/5 of a conifers foliage otherwise it may die or you'll weaken it severely. Look through some of the threads under the juniper section of the forum, you'll learn a lot I guarantee. This is the best forum to learn anything bonsai as there are members that are at day 1, and professionals who have been doing it for 40+ years and everything in between.

Aaron

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fall and winter is the best time to wire junipers, pruning can be done pretty much at any time of year except for their in their coldest zones. Always remember, never remove more the 1/3-1/5 of a conifers foliage otherwise it may die or you'll weaken it severely. Look through some of the threads under the juniper section of the forum, you'll learn a lot I guarantee. This is the best forum to learn anything bonsai as there are members that are at day 1, and professionals who have been doing it for 40+ years and everything in between.

Aaron
I really hit the lotto with this forum. Thank you for your advice. Merry Christmas !

Top Bottom