Japanese larch master at work

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I stumbled across a couple of YouTube videos showing a bonsai master at work on some Japanese larch bonsai. in the first one he chops up a failed group planting then in the second video he builds another forest. He really goes at these trees and heavily prunes the crowns and roots. By the way, while it helps to know Japanese, there are some subtitles and one guy constantly grunting as the other explains what he is doing.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hehehehe
some folks will get a hart attack watching it, lol
compare this to what Ryan is doing, fancy tools and all sort of that.....
makes you really think....

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have seen Peter Chan tear into trees before but never anything like this. However I noticed that in the second video he used the two trees he potted up in the first one for the father and mother trees in his group so it appears they survived. I always wonder how many trees that we see demonstration videos of actually do survive since they often repot and style at the same time or heavily prune and wire at the same time. When Peter Chan went at a tree with an ax I figured it was a gonner, but a few months later he showed it again growing healthy.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The individual trees that need attention, need attention. Trees that are healthy and in this case dormant or just about to break bud can take this transition quite easily. Larch are quite tough as long as you've got a good healthy root mass one might be able to literally chop the trunk right off, not unlike the "Naka" technique for creating a broom style elm. [Not that you'd style it that way LOL]
I've attached a recent snap shot of my larch grove of 40 yrs. It is just breaking bud and one branch has fully leafed out on the right side tree. More later when it fully leafs out!

Attachments

• IMG_9266A.jpg
    IMG_9266A.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 46

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do you think this was put together.. Not very different. Also started with pulling apart a forest which partially died, to get the two main trees reducing the rootball to the bare minimum. Then removing 90% of the rootmass of all seedlings.

Then again.. Only in fall will I know whether all survived the massacra :)

1585258444277.png

Top Bottom