Japanese Larch Mother-Daughter

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I post this simply because people might enjoy it, and to show I really hold no animosity against traditionally designed trees.

Which is not say I designed this myself. :D Won it at the PSBA auction last year - the simple elegance appealed to me, and even more so to my wife, who otherwise would have been upset if I spent money on anything there. :rolleyes:

All I've done to it to turn it around to show off the nebari better. Don't worry - I have no plans to butcher it in my usual style! :eek: :eek:

Attachments

• JLMom-Daughter-3-10.jpg
    JLMom-Daughter-3-10.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 201

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like that tree as well - very nice image. Just out of curiosity, what is its size?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I post this simply because people might enjoy it, and to show I really hold no animosity against traditionally designed trees.

Which is not say I designed this myself. :D Won it at the PSBA auction last year - the simple elegance appealed to me, and even more so to my wife, who otherwise would have been upset if I spent money on anything there. :rolleyes:

All I've done to it to turn it around to show off the nebari better. Don't worry - I have no plans to butcher it in my usual style! :eek: :eek:
Thanks for posting. Just a little information. Talking about traditional Mother-Kid style in Vietnam, this two trunk should be from one base. The mother tree has trunk 3 times bigger the kid tree and so does the height. Also, the mother trunk doesn't have a straight trunk (if straight trunk, it is called the Father- Kid style). The lower trunks of the mother and kid should make a 80 degree angle so that it has enough room for the 2nd branch of the kid go toward to the mother Besides, the mother (or father) tree will have only 5 branches including the apex; the kid has only 3 branches including the apex. The apex of the kid is never taller the 2 branch of the mother. Sorry, I don't have a picture to show. Bonhe

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
hmmm.... knowing this tree... and the fact that it's pretty darn precious makes me glad it's not trying to be a Vietnam father/son tree... :)

I wanted it myself, but I was not of a mind to compete against friends for it, and just let it go. ;)

Rules are marvelous guides, but this tree conforming to those rules would look rediculous. It looks like something that could be found anywhere in our woods really... so it is satisfying.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like that tree as well - very nice image. Just out of curiosity, what is its size?

About 18". In Vietnam, of course, it should be 72.734 cm tall, which is probably why the sorry thing was put up for auction. :confused: :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Never forget... I'll happily take this "sorry thing" off your hands any time. :D:D:D

V

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:) Can I say it is American Mother and Daughter style? Bonhe

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd say this is a closer representation... still breaks all your rules save one... the origination of the trunks.;) It is one of Dan's trees that I take care of...

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Attachments

• TwintrunkKoreanBPsm2.jpg
    TwintrunkKoreanBPsm2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 88

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd say this is a closer representation... still breaks all your rules save one... the origination of the trunks.;) It is one of Dan's trees that I take care of...

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Wow, what a nice pine!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Kindest regards,

Victrinia
I agree with this tree. It represents the picture of Mother and Kid much better since the Kid's height much shorter than the Mom's, and for Oriental people, it is a very important character. I hope you understand my point :) Bonhe

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, what a nice pine!

If you like this tree, you can find it among many others in the Gallery section of the book Vic and I collaborated on coming out this September from Stone Lantern - a biography and retrospective of Dan's life and works. :)

Vic, is that your photo or mine?

Bonhe - I'm not really sure if you can say this is an American Mother and Daughter tree: they would have thicker, sumo trunks and their posture would look more hunched over. Of Dan's Mother/Daughter tree, BTW, he says simply, “Trained in a twin tree style, this duo paints a picture
of over-enthusiastic parental dominance. Obviously the progeny is severely deformed.” :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Brother... I would never post one of your photos on-line without your knowledge or blessing... :D This is one of mine... and it isn't one of the pretty high-defs like yours... so that should have been a dead give away. :D

Daniel's quotes always crack me up.... lol

V

Top Bottom