WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Glad to see these can prosper in zone 9 given I am in zone 7! They grow at an amazing rate. I now have 16 and the first group I got last year just exploded. Most are for clumps and forests but I plan to develop a couple individuals too. Thanks for the progression.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to see these can prosper in zone 9 given I am in zone 7! They grow at an amazing rate. I now have 16 and the first group I got last year just exploded. Most are for clumps and forests but I plan to develop a couple individuals too. Thanks for the progression.
I’m in a unique microclimate. Zone 9 is my low temperature range and then my AHS heat zone is 4.

Your heat zone may be 7 or 8: http://solanomg.ucanr.edu/files/245158.pdf

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m in a unique microclimate. Zone 9 is my low temperature range and then my AHS heat zone is 4.

Your heat zone may be 7 or 8: http://solanomg.ucanr.edu/files/245158.pdf
That is a good point and probably is why we can also grow America larch here in the mountains of WNC. Looking at the link you posted I too am in heat zone 4 although that too seems to be changing. 10 years ago we only used our AC about 5-6 days in the summer, but now it is on almost all of July-August during the middle of the day. Still we manage to stay under 85 most of the time and mainly have to deal with the humidity. I am shifting from American larch to Japanese larch and also am going to start some Golden larch this spring since they reportedly can take the heat and humidity better that true larch can.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow, I'm jealous. It's looking really good.

I've been trying to find some small Japanese Larch and it has been really difficult. They are oddly rare here and most of them ship from Hokkaido, making them more expensive to get to the Kanto area.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very nice! But I'm not sure tilting it to the right will improve it. Of course, seeing it in 3-D I might have a different opinion...

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So what is the diameter at this point—did you get your 2”?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I find it amazing how fast they grow I have 16 right now, 6 rom last year and 10 from this year. They are about 2 and 3 years old. The older ones already are a iut 3/4” diameter and 4’ tall. I am letting them grow wild this year and in the fall after needle drop will chop them back and start the training process. I am planning to use most of them in a couple group plantings but will also do a few individuals. Your progression is an inspiration in that.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't understand that, nor can I translate it into decimal system. You relly want to stick to "your own people" 😄
I never realized how hard it is to not know internet exists.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=1.65"+in+cm&s=d

You know.. For someone in the US to convert to metric is just as easy as for you to convert to metric.

Or just remember, 1 inch = 2,54 cm and in the USA the dot is used as decimal separator.

ThePecha7

Seedling
Reaction score
Any updates on this one? Really want a look at your other larch you keep eluding to as well 😆

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any updates on this one? Really want a look at your other larch you keep eluding to as well 😆
Uggggh I killed that other one. Let’s… forget about it 😰

Okay, pics of this one to come soonish. It’s buds aren’t yet moving.

Slippery Pete

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just discovered this thread. Sorry to hear about the second Larch! Must have really bummed you out. At any rate, you have done a fantastic job developing this tree...
I ordered 100 Japanese Larch seedlings in this year's NYS seedling sale and I am very much looking forward to being able to work with this species! It's those itty bitty cones that sold me hook, line and sinker.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m pretty sure I burned the roots of the other, more expensive larch with too much nitrogen when it was already stressed. I misread some clues, and then the hottest and driest storm of the year came blowing through. I’ve learned!

081C6894-8DAA-4F51-8C5E-2A9D4A010EDE.jpeg
I’m starting to think this might become the new front. Here it is after 2 hours of wiring and minor pruning. The wire is almost overdone.

Attachments

• 1A989459-EF2B-4367-9A1B-169D0CE89630.jpeg
    1A989459-EF2B-4367-9A1B-169D0CE89630.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 42
  • EE29D10D-0AFB-4705-97D3-F124846B1D13.jpeg
    EE29D10D-0AFB-4705-97D3-F124846B1D13.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom