Japanese Larch second styling

deineath

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As the buds are swelling, I'm thinking to do some work on this young larch to give a better start this season. I failed to bend the lower part of the trunk initially (might give it a try again). I like the size/height and hope to keep it that way as it grows/thickens up. There's still plenty room for roots to grow, so I'm not sure if it's best to touch it and put in in a suitable pot now.

Any suggestions how to treat it for now? Thanks!

PXL_20230302_153959328.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20230302_153946934~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230302_154031058.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230302_154031058.MP.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20230302_154024503.jpg
    PXL_20230302_154024503.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 27

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would take it out of the pot and consider doing some serious root work.
These type of pots tend to create a couple fat roots that hit the bottom of the pot.
It doesn't need to go into a bonsai pot, but something less deep and more wide would probably help you out in the long run.

deineath

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would take it out of the pot and consider doing some serious root work.
These type of pots tend to create a couple fat roots that hit the bottom of the pot.
It doesn't need to go into a bonsai pot, but something less deep and more wide would probably help you out in the long run.
Thanks. Would it be ideal to do some root work and then spread them and put it on the ground for a season? or it'd get out too of hand?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't know about Japanese larches, but European larches grow like crazy if they're taken care of.
Depending on your goals, I would consider just a more shallow and wider pot. If it's large enough, you wouldn't need to plant it in the ground.
The thing with ground growing is that it goes fast both ways; top growth and root growth. If a solid base isn't there - which judging from the pot, is a possibility - then you might want to invest your time and effort in correcting that. Once that nebari is in order, you can always plant it in the ground to speed up trunk growth.

Since you're considering on wiring more movement into the trunk, I'd keep it from growing too thick until you've performed that action.

deineath

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know about Japanese larches, but European larches grow like crazy if they're taken care of.
Depending on your goals, I would consider just a more shallow and wider pot. If it's large enough, you wouldn't need to plant it in the ground.
The thing with ground growing is that it goes fast both ways; top growth and root growth. If a solid base isn't there - which judging from the pot, is a possibility - then you might want to invest your time and effort in correcting that. Once that nebari is in order, you can always plant it in the ground to speed up trunk growth.

Since you're considering on wiring more movement into the trunk, I'd keep it from growing too thick until you've performed that action.
Got it. Thank you!

Top Bottom