Japanese Larch Shohin?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Side A for me most def. It is looking good, and I like the apex, it gives it a little wildness to match the roots.
And that cone - yummy!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Strange I posted last night and it's not here. Anyway, I'm with Judy, side A looks great.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Super cool with out the foliage, A is my favourite as well. It does look good from lots of angles, I really like the cone! Nice tree.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks good, it's maturing nicely. Have you thought more abou robs idea of lowering the apex a bit?

Hi Tom...I do believe that life in a pot for this larch is aging it nicely. Its funny how the 2D camera changes angles of branches, trunks etc....if you look at E you'll note that the apex really isn't that much out of proportion to the next main branch below.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Judy/Chris,
That's the front I've been using....from this view I think the knuckle root below the first downward bend in the trunk almost acts as a focal point.... each spring I look forward to increasing the exposure of the roots over the rock.... I've even contemplated removing the rock in about 4-5 years (if the roots will allow) to have an exposed root style?
Cheers
Graham

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've even contemplated removing the rock in about 4-5 years (if the roots will allow) to have an exposed root style?

:eek::eek::eek:
Not my tree, but I would have to vote no on that one. I've only seen a few good exposed root examples, mostly in D. Korsehoff's book. Seems like they look best on tropicals...

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Excellent tree and work Graham.

I'd go with side A as well; just seems to accent all the attributes of this tree. I'd keep the rock too; it fits well with the overall picture.

P.S. I'm really impressed with the character of larch minus the foliage. I've never worked on one and this one has responded very well to your work. How is the training and care the same or different from let's say juniper (other than junis being evergreen)? Any specific tips to note for this species?

Thanks John

Last edited:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi John,
I'm a rookie at this so I've got not secrets......I believe that they are pretty hardy...I fertilize it, water it and pinch any agressive growth to keep it compact.
Graham

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring Update

Hi folks,
Here are a couple of photos from the weekend. The weather finally warmed up and things have started to move :eek:.....so there is so much to do:rolleyes:
First photo is with main guy wires and second without....trying to bring the main branch downwards.
Easter2013#1.jpgEaster2013 (2).jpgCheers
Graham

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So many things to love about this.. The tree is beautiful, the pot is beautiful and I believe that when a larch first buds out, that it is probably the most beautiful. What do you think about a shorter pot? I think a shorter pot makes the tree more powerful. However, either size are good with this tree. What do you think of this virt with a shorter pot?

Rob

Attachments

• Easter2013%20(2)[1].jpg
    Easter2013%20(2)[1].jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 105

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Rob,
Thanks for giving me that idea....I hadn't thought about that before. I do know that the roots have almost reached the botton of this pot and it is starting to adhere to the rock so that might be a challenge...... but I think you are right that it does seem to be more powerful....now I'll have to start looking for a suitable pot.;)
Here are two photos from this afternoon as the sun was setting. I've also added one photo from the original owner when it was much younger....its in a shorter pot.:confused:
Cheers Graham

Attachments

• IMGP4419.jpg
    IMGP4419.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 0411001.jpg
    0411001.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMGP4423.jpg
    IMGP4423.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 135

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree is really good from both sides isn't it? Cause now I like the first photo, and I voted for the other side before... Could be an in leaf side and out of leaf side? But very nice refining of this tree Graham. It's lovely with that low angled light on it. I'm surprised it's so far along already.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree is beautiful, the pot is beautiful and I believe that when a larch first buds out, that it is probably the most beautiful.

YES YES YES.... what he said. This is a great looking tree and additional fuel for my japanese larch hunt.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This tree is really good from both sides isn't it? Cause now I like the first photo, and I voted for the other side before... Could be an in leaf side and out of leaf side? But very nice refining of this tree Graham. It's lovely with that low angled light on it. I'm surprised it's so far along already.

That's the thing with many trees, the middle and upper part of the tree vs the trunk. I agree with Judy that I prefer the overall image in pic 1. Although pic 3 is very nice, pic 1 portrays a very beautiful, natural and balanced image. However, the base image in pic 3 represents the root over rock composition better. Either way, the tree is stunning.

As far as the shorter pot, as soon as I did the virt with the shorter pot, I noticed the base of the trunk immediately jump out at me. Either way, you have an exhibition quality tree. I have looked at many larches. It seems like all the ones available are sticks in pots or material that costs a fortune. However, searching is part of the fun.

Once again beautiful tree.

Rob

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Judy,
I was thinking about a table that revolved showing all sides.... as each angle provides yet another unique image....
Advancement is due to the weather being relatively mild for the first part of April (for this part of the PNW, i.e. no frosts) and all my J. larches have sprung up like this ditch-a-dori.....now its going to cool down over the next few days..... but it's well protected.

Many thanks NYB12, I was very lucky in that a long time experienced club member gave me such a deal on it.

Thanks again Rob, after the spring repotting slows down, I'll start looking for a pot....
I did have an image of the tree as a spiral cascade or even a more formal semi-C. but then I may have to shorten the main lower branch to provide balance with the width of the main trunk/upper root mass.... hhhmmmm nice to have option.
Cheers Graham

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Wonderful little tree. The first photo is sweet. I like the taller pot with a flared rim theme (and the bumpy yellow) but I think if it was 1/4 of its height shorter, or a bit less, shorter it would be more grounded. A similar custom made thrown pot would be the easiest I bet. You have done a exemplary job developing this for sure.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It is a lovely tee and you have worked so hard and carefully on it. Congrats.

BUT . . . I hate that pot! A tree that elegant demands a simple, dark brown pot with no kitschy writing and designs on the sides. This tree is worth going somewhere and spending a few hard-earned dollars on a fine pot.

PLEASE????

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I really like the first picture as well. I think it looks the most mature in that picture. You've done so well with this tree, great work.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Crust, JKL and Tom for your nice compliments on my larch.
The pot was the only one I had that would accomodate the tree/root over rock combo.... and I had always known that it would need something more substantial if the tree developed into the vision I had for it.
I've just won a Masters golf pool :eek: so I now have some funds......will have to start searching for a pot for next springs repot.
Cheers and thanks again.
Graham

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
May Update

Just an update, filling out from a recent and early warm spell......however I've restricted watering, so that the shoot elongation/ramification doesn't get to crazy :rolleyes:
G

Attachments

• May2013 028 (600x800).jpg
    May2013 028 (600x800).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 110
Top Bottom