Japanese Larch

Nrsypher

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does anyone know where I might find a nice Japanese Larch in the $250-400 range?

I've looked locally, checked Ebay/Etsy, and looked through a thread I found on this site for online bonsai websites. No luck so far.

I'm trying to avoid purchasing a very young tree, as I have plenty of those, but it seems that might be my only option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are you looking for a more refined tree or just something older and ready for refinement? If it's the latter, you could just peruse your regular garden nurseries in the spring (or even now) you might find something. I picked up a mature, beautiful "gray pearl" Japanese larch earlier this year for under $100. Trunk is about 1 1/2" thick and tons of branching with great movement.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I know Driftwood Bonsai had some field grown ones in Anderson flats last time I was down there. They were 10-15 years old, nice bark around that price range I think

Nrsypher

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you looking for a more refined tree or just something older and ready for refinement? If it's the latter, you could just peruse your regular garden nurseries in the spring (or even now) you might find something. I picked up a mature, beautiful "gray pearl" Japanese larch earlier this year for under $100. Trunk is about 1 1/2" thick and tons of branching with great movement.

I'm looking for something older that would be ready to start developing. I spent a couple of weekends looking at my local nurseries in July but I couldn't find any Larch trees at all. Thank you for the suggestion though. I may have to widen my search in the spring time!

Nrsypher

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know Driftwood Bonsai had some field grown ones in Anderson flats last time I was down there. They were 10-15 years old, nice bark around that price range I think
Wow, Driftwood Bonsai has some very impressive material. They are sold out of Larch's at the moment but I'll keep an eye out as spring gets closer. I did see a very nice JBP that has my name all over it lol. I may have to pull the trigger. Thanks for the suggestion!

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Wow, Driftwood Bonsai has some very impressive material. They are sold out of Larch's at the moment but I'll keep an eye out as spring gets closer. I did see a very nice JBP that has my name all over it lol. I may have to pull the trigger. Thanks for the suggestion!
Reach out to him and ask, he only puts about 10% of his stuff online. I know Mirai went down and bought a bunch recently but I thought I saw a couple in August when I was there

Nrsypher

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Reach out to him and ask, he only puts about 10% of his stuff online. I know Mirai went down and bought a bunch recently but I thought I saw a couple in August when I was there
He said he's got some nice Larch's growing but they won't be ready until May. I'm going to be patient and wait until then to buy one. I think the pine will scratch the itch in the meantime. Thanks again.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does anyone know where I might find a nice Japanese Larch in the $250-400 range?

I've looked locally, checked Ebay/Etsy, and looked through a thread I found on this site for online bonsai websites. No luck so far.

I'm trying to avoid purchasing a very young tree, as I have plenty of those, but it seems that might be my only option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Not Japanese obviously but our own @mattspiniken collects and sells some awesome eastern larch.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
He said he's got some nice Larch's growing but they won't be ready until May. I'm going to be patient and wait until then to buy one. I think the pine will scratch the itch in the meantime. Thanks again.
I’ll go down in January and get some photos for you if you want

Nrsypher

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ll go down in January and get some photos for you if you want
So nice of you to offer! I really appreciate it. If you're there and you think of it that would be really cool.

Top Bottom