Japanese Maple “Beni Maiko” Trunk Chop

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I’ve got a big Japanese Maple ‘Beni Maiko‘ that has been in a pot thickening for about 4-5years and the trunk is now about an inch thick. Early spring, I repotted it into a wooden grow box with some decent compost - spread the roots and started ebihara. I think I made a mistake because I probably should have chopped it then but didn’t.

Anyway, the tree took off when it came into leaf and has been growing strongly for a good 6 weeks and has put on quite a lot of growth. Question is, can I still chop it this year to around 3”- 4” high? Or should I leave it alone now until next year? Does the “one insult per year” mantra apply to all trees or just pines?

If it’s too late to chop, could I put an air layer on it? Or is that not a good idea either / or too late?

Thanks folks,

Andy

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
ask yourself this. if i chop it now, is there enough time in the growing season for it to bud back again?

this one didnt mind me repotting and chopping it in the same season and from my threads you can find many other examples. as you know by now, i mainly work with strong nursery trees and field grown trees.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Do you guys ever have a debate with yourself as to whether you should just chop of a 6’-7’ tree or air layer it? Or is it just me?! 🤣😂

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
again, you have to ask yourself if the material youre layering is really worthwhile, will it result in a worthwhile bonsai, will the layer be any better than what you already have, will it be worth the effort. if none of those things then you chop. no point doing layers just for the sake of it as many do because they dont want to waste material. you will just be wasting time that could of been used chopping the tree and developing it right away.
personally i dont bother with layering, i just chop everything because there is usually more where that one came from.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you guys ever have a debate with yourself as to whether you should just chop of a 6’-7’ tree or air layer it? Or is it just me?! 🤣😂
lol I generally prefer to chop and not to airlayer. I feel I waste a growing season airlayering. Plus, I suck at it! :p

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
During the quarantine no branches or trees are safe. Lots of redesigning here. Although I would hesitate to chop it down to 3 or 4 inches. Let's see what your talking about. Post a picture. Are you chopping to a branch or bud?

Top Bottom