Japanese Maple #13

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
Beautiful tree. I love it.

Can’t help but think that many here won’t like the nontraditional methods and other aspects of this tree.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Walter, lovely tree as always!

I’m curious about your guy wiring technique. I’ve been taught to set guy wires using a loop which can be twisted to tension. It seems that you are using just a single length of wire to set your guy wires. How do you set the needed tension? Is it just by bending the wire with a kink to shorten it? It seems you are also using guy wires on more and smaller branches, which perhaps explains the difference.

thanks, I really appreciate your posts.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There's definitely a few different ways to apply your guy wires, i have seen Graham potter and Ryan neil using the loop/tension method, never tried it myself, they do tend to use it on thicker branches.
The simple method (above) is just to use your eye and finger strength, then when you think the branch is in the correct place you set the guy wire on. From there you can attach further guy wires to steady more branches to the first one.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Walter, lovely tree as always!

I’m curious about your guy wiring technique. I’ve been taught to set guy wires using a loop which can be twisted to tension. It seems that you are using just a single length of wire to set your guy wires. How do you set the needed tension? Is it just by bending the wire with a kink to shorten it? It seems you are also using guy wires on more and smaller branches, which perhaps explains the difference.

thanks, I really appreciate your posts.

I use guy wires a lot, probably no big name in the world does it as I do. One can only judge meaures by their result. You can see it on my posts. It is usually just a single wire attached to an anchor, which may be a hole in the bottom of the pot or a lower branch or a jin. Then I pull up the wire to the branch to be beended and put hold th branch down or sumetimes up and then I make a sling around the branch. Finished. Just in case I now or later want top get the branch even lower I tak a jin plier and make a litlel twist into the guy wire. It takes a minute to put the guy wirte oin and off again. It is my favored approach for trees which are alrady in very advanced styling. The disadvantage is that it does not look so good. It woudl be unacceptble for exhibit or for a sales area. I don't do any exhibits nor do I have a sales area. This is why I can do it and most others have to avoid it. Judge by resluts and not by present look or conventional wisdom.

Top Bottom