Japanese Maple #14

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry Walter, you've probably answered this many times, but do you always hedge then defoliate? I ask this because I always defoliate first and tip prune afterwards because that way I'm sure to see the tips that are and are not pruned, and also I can choose the occational branch to not tip and let grow a little longer.

The overwhelming majority of my broadleaved trees is not defoliated. They all are hedge pruned The trees which are defoliated often get a rough hedge pruning first and then total defoliation. I rip off as many leaves as I can with one move. Only on trees with large foliage like linden or beech I might use scissors. When the tree is all nude I do cut further - usually with long scissors many shoots with one cut. So it is hedge pruning still. Only a bit more careful. You can see the results all over this forum.

Why do I tend to say Hedge Pruning and then total defoliation. Because Hedge Pruning and hedge pruning are not the same. Hedge Pruning is a well thought through method which mainly differs from orthodox methods in not pinching at all and letting everything grow after bud burst for six to eight weeks. Then cut back like a hedge. One can defoliate at this point also with tremendous results - much better than with trees that were pinched.

I believe that many will not really read in depth or find it difficult to accept and still pinch. I want to make sure that the key of my method is to let grow as much as possible. It can be dangerous to follow my methods and do your own 'corrections'. A total defoliation can hamper a tree and kill it if the plant is not very strong. How does it get strong? By letting grow freely! Cutting weakens the tree, It can only respond with lots of new buds if it was strong before the cutting.

Bottom line: it does not matter whether you first defoliate or first hedge prune as long as you understand the process.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow beautiful tree and very impressive development in just 2 years!!! As you said, it is responding great. On the first set of pictures I thought that big scare was gonna take loong time for/if healing but 🙄 did you reopen that wound at some point? How does the tree continue responding with such vigor after continues Hedge pruning (4 times a year) and defoliation year after year? I guess your feeding and watering regine is what makes this possible?
My only criticism is that all too common light blue pots on Japanese maples but hey what a beautiful leaves colours! It's becoming my favourite of Walters trees.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think this has to be my favorite JM clump. Really inspiring tree!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Beautiful.
Peter Krebs' pot is also beautiful, yet it doesn't steal the show, it just enhances the beauty of the tree.
Perfect match!

👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

Top Bottom