Japanese Maple #16

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Amazing tree. Do you ever wire branches or do you use anchor wires exclusively? I almost never see wire on your trees.

Can I ask why you post so many photos? I personally think it would benefit everyone if you posted fewer. Some of them are almost identical. It's definitely nice to see it at different stages of development and at different times of year, but I think that could be done with no more than 5 or 6 photos. Then we wouldn't need to scroll so much and it would save you a lot of time uploading them all. You could post a few and then link to your blog with the full set of photos. Maybe others disagree?

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice tree. I would try and figure out some way of changing the sagging belly in the front.

How long has it been planted on that rock?

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Amazing tree. Do you ever wire branches or do you use anchor wires exclusively? I almost never see wire on your trees.

Can I ask why you post so many photos? I personally think it would benefit everyone if you posted fewer. Some of them are almost identical. It's definitely nice to see it at different stages of development and at different times of year, but I think that could be done with no more than 5 or 6 photos. Then we wouldn't need to scroll so much and it would save you a lot of time uploading them all. You could post a few and then link to your blog with the full set of photos. Maybe others disagree?
More is more. I'm happy to see as many pics as Walter posts. =)

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Scrolling is half the fun

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great tree - pot choice is perfect too. Did Horst make the blue one or it's current pot?

D

Deleted member 21616

@Walter Pall thank you for posting so many photos. When you post a new tree, i usually spend 30-45 minutes going through the photos slowly with my morning coffee. I enjoy this very much, and learn a lot.

Can i please ask whether there are any trees in particular of yours that I should look at with progressions that begin with much younger trees? I noticed that your progressions often begin with very high-quality imports. I would be interested to learn more from you about the earlier stages of development if possible, especially trunk development which is a main concern for me. Just curious if I have overlooked any.

i.e. even more pictures if possible :cool:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

more... one word and the pics do the story. You can read a development from pics, I personally like it.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I do wire branches on broadleaved trees when the tree is in the beginning of development. In my place development never stops. if there is one thing you can learn from these progressions than it is that ALWAYS there is something that can be improved. When the general skeleton of the tree is fixed I usually work with minor corrections. It is much easier to do this with guy wires then with orthodox wiring. It saves time and wire and I do not constantly have to worry that the wire will bite in. It does not look so good. I don't care. It will look good eventually. Those who are always worried about the momentary beauty of their tree will never improve it. I sacrifice momentary beauty for future quality. My methods are not the only methods, but they work. The value of methods one can only judge by long term results. Who has the better trees after a long time has the better methods.

It may well be that there are a few photos too many. But in general every photo tells you something. If you cannot see it then it may well be that you have to learn something there. The majority of folks around the world love the number of pictures. I do not only post this here but via social media also elsewhere. Around 50,000 people see these progressions. I usually get a few hundred up to a couple thousand likes and hundreds of shares. So it cannot be all wrong.

It is true that often there is only a minimal difference between the pictures. This bothers you because you cannot see any value therein. Well, often change of a minimal detail makes the difference between very good and world class. One tenth of a second is a minimal time span. In sports very often it makes the difference between going into history or not being remembered.

I do not post these progressions to make it easy and delightful for folks to see them I post them because I can. I do not post them to teach nor to deliver a message. I am only marginally interested in discussions about my trees. I absolutely do not post these to get praise. You don#t haver to look at them. If yes, you better get used to the way I post them because there are about 400 more to come. Four hundred, yes.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Walter Pall thank you for posting so many photos. When you post a new tree, i usually spend 30-45 minutes going through the photos slowly with my morning coffee. I enjoy this very much, and learn a lot.

Can i please ask whether there are any trees in particular of yours that I should look at with progressions that begin with much younger trees? I noticed that your progressions often begin with very high-quality imports. I would be interested to learn more from you about the earlier stages of development if possible, especially trunk development which is a main concern for me. Just curious if I have overlooked any.

i.e. even more pictures if possible :cool:

It all depends about what you do the looking for. If it is just for fun, then only look at the very first one and quickly scroll through. If it is for learning then you look at them in detail. Probably often you cannot see why I have posted this or what is going on. Maybe you should accept the idea that the is something you still have to learn. It sounds like you are aware of this.

Yes, there are a lot of trees which already were very good to start out with. I try to make very good trees out of good ones. If one does bonsai for serious this is very important to understand. There are many ways to do bonsai and many believe that one way is the best one. I have given up this idea and do all facets. Why spend 50 years to produce a mediocre bonsai if it is much more fun to make a very good bonsai out of a mediocre one within a couple of years. At the same time I have proven to be able to work on a single tree for 40 years with some success. I would rather now get a tree that someone else has spent 40 years on and try to improve the tree in a couple e of years.

There are a couple hundred more progressions available. Qite a lot show trees from the very beginnings. Only at the moment these colorful fall pictures bring so many trees which I got when they already had 40 or more years of development behind them.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Stunning tree.

I like all the pics. I often compare them to see what has changed and to try to understand why. Excellent learning tools for design IMHO.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yeah, WAY too many pictures of world class Bonsai, considering this is a bonsai forum...…………:rolleyes:...….wing-nut.....:p:D:D:D:D:D:D

mediocre bonsai

……………...one man's "mediocre bonsai" is another's "holy shit, I'm burning every stick on my benches to make sure this tree doesn't get depressed"...…..;):D:D:D:D:D:D

nice pot pairing for fall colors....glaze echo's a yard with a fresh mat of fallen leaves. And my favorite kind, the ones I don't have to rake!!!!:cool:

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do wire branches on broadleaved trees when the tree is in the beginning of development. In my place development never stops. if there is one thing you can learn from these progressions than it is that ALWAYS there is something that can be improved. When the general skeleton of the tree is fixed I usually work with minor corrections. It is much easier to do this with guy wires then with orthodox wiring. It saves time and wire and I do not constantly have to worry that the wire will bite in. It does not look so good. I don't care. It will look good eventually. Those who are always worried about the momentary beauty of their tree will never improve it. I sacrifice momentary beauty for future quality. My methods are not the only methods, but they work. The value of methods one can only judge by long term results. Who has the better trees after a long time has the better methods.

It may well be that there are a few photos too many. But in general every photo tells you something. If you cannot see it then it may well be that you have to learn something there. The majority of folks around the world love the number of pictures. I do not only post this here but via social media also elsewhere. Around 50,000 people see these progressions. I usually get a few hundred up to a couple thousand likes and hundreds of shares. So it cannot be all wrong.

It is true that often there is only a minimal difference between the pictures. This bothers you because you cannot see any value therein. Well, often change of a minimal detail makes the difference between very good and world class. One tenth of a second is a minimal time span. In sports very often it makes the difference between going into history or not being remembered.

I do not post these progressions to make it easy and delightful for folks to see them I post them because I can. I do not post them to teach nor to deliver a message. I am only marginally interested in discussions about my trees. I absolutely do not post these to get praise. You don#t haver to look at them. If yes, you better get used to the way I post them because there are about 400 more to come. Four hundred, yes.

Thanks for the comment regarding wiring. That makes sense.

Regarding the numbers of photos, I'm clearly in the minority so continue posting here as always. I look at all the photos on your blog and wouldn't want to see any fewer there. My comment was only in regard to this forum since you're having to upload the photos to 2 different places and because in a forum setting people have to scroll down a lot to see the replies. It makes sense to me to simply link to your blog, but others disagree, so don't pay any attention to my comment. However, another solution would be to embed all the images linked from your blog using the img tag. This should be quicker once you get used to it and wouldn't use up the server space on this site. It would also allow you to include all the photos in one post. Example below.
1.jpg

Top Bottom