Japanese Maple #17

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just an inquiry on this one...
The first 2 branches appear like the dreaded "bar-branches".
I suppose, due to the movement in the trunk, that those branches are in fact originating from different nodes....but it looks like a bar branch.

To me, it's not a big deal, but I'd love to hear other's opinions on it.
Thanks.

Its a beautiful maple Walter....thanks for posting it.

D

Deleted member 21616

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful maple, as always :)
Absolutely love the pot for this particular tree as well.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I suppose, due to the movement in the trunk, that those branches are in fact originating from different nodes....but it looks like a bar branch.

Thanks.

Sure it's bar branches. Have you noticed that this is an informal broom form. Broom forms have bar branches - by definition. Even if that's not what it is. - who says that bar branches are bad? Just because some Japanese gardener came up with that rule it does not mean that it should apply to all artists. t's cultural aesthetics that has not much to do with our trees..

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sure it's bar branches. Have you noticed that this is an informal broom form. Broom forms have bar branches - by definition. Even if that's not what it is. - who says that bar branches are bad? Just because some Japanese gardener came up with that rule it does not mean that it should apply to all artists. t's cultural aesthetics that has not much to do with our trees..
I didnt say that....I agree with you completely.
Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts on it.
Though I will say that it looks more like a natural wild tree than any sort of broom style to me.
Its gorgeous.

Reaction score
I didnt say that....I agree with you completely.
Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts on it.
Though I will say that it looks more like a natural wild tree than any sort of broom style to me.
Its gorgeous.

Aren't a lot of wild trees just informal brooms?(especially broadleaf) Sort of how I've always viewed them.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
. t's cultural aesthetics that has not much to do with our trees..
hello walter, would you say that you have no aesthetics rules on your trees ? I guess you wouldn't have chosen this tree without this good nebari ?

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Thanks.

It doesn’t look like a bar branch to me, that would be taking the phrase to far. The branches are two different heights and thicknesses so therefore not a bar branch.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
hello walter, would you say that you have no aesthetics rules on your trees ? I guess you wouldn't have chosen this tree without this good nebari ?

I yam very careful about choosing material for my collection. It must meet my highest aesthetic rules in the potential it has. Only it is my personal artistic rules and not what a gardener who comes from another culture tell s me is aesthetically pleasing or not.

We were led to believe that aesthetic rules are universal. They are not, they are cultural. The bonsai taste is an acquired taste. Just look at many Chinese penjing. A lot of them seem to be not aesthetically pleasing to our eye. So over one billion people all have bad tast? Or is it just different, or cultural and we have acquired the Japanese taste.

Let's assume we discuss with people who have deep artistic training and speak about the ugliness of bar branches in bonsai. I have don that. And what happened? They broke into laughter abut how silly bonsai people are.

Top Bottom