Japanese Maple #2

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks happy! One of my wife's students brought over a little JM sapling last year and its stayed alive in the pot thus far - I'll likely repot it into something like this next Spring and maybe give it back as a present. Is that substrate a little NAPA 8822?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
100% 8822. Ive top dressed with crushed sphagnum since to help retain moisture. Fertilzer is 14-14-14 slow release osmocote. The repotting for this was more of a "bare root slip" with no root pruning. Feel the roots can handle the ferts since there was no major damage done to the roots.

I have other JMs that have fully extended second flush at this point.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Had a second flush of growth but I think I need to keep this guy in the shade more. I think I burnt up the leaves. Going to leave him be next year and try to get some good growth out of it.

20191019_123840.jpg

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yea i already decided in February to look into getting a shade cloth. Looks like they held out enough to pull through too. :D Mine took that heatwave in the start of summer like a champ.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
End of year pictures:

Front:
20191108_215415.jpg

From right:
20191108_215325.jpg

From back:
20191108_215353.jpg

From left:
20191108_215404.jpg

There are some other possible fronts for this tree that I like. Will see what happens next year. Not repotting it. Letting it grow out and get stronger. The leaves were on and off health wise. I think a better fertilization plan and leaving it alone are in order. It has healthy buds set:

20191108_215524.jpg

Width: .21
Height: 8"
In training: 1year

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have been protecting this one. Lost a couple other palmatum seedlings due to mixture of negligence and brief low cold temps. Some are healthy. Next year all palmatums are staying on my basement stairs.

Still happy. Has color. No concerns. Buds look healthy too.

20200302_191218.jpg
20200302_191326.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks good, interesting colour.

I would prune it and wire the first branch now :

View attachment 286490

Thanks for the suggestion Alain. I havent decided on a style yet, which is holding me back from doing more. I'll look at the tree closer tonight and see what I think but I like the idea of wiring the little branch down as the first branch so Ill probably do that.

Maybe go for something in this vein:
20200303_085400.jpg

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes, that's the idea. But you have two sets of buds below what would be your new leader: keeping the first one to have a back branch is OK, but I wouldn't leave the two.

And I wouldn't bend the 1st branch so much : to me, on a maple, a branch goes slightly upwards before descending after a few ramifications, then goes upward again. I wired too many deciduous that in the end looked "pine-shaped" in the past...

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I feel that using the bud next on the leader as the point for the next branch is too small a distance between the branches. Its like.. 1".

And ditto on the pine tree look. Adept observation. Ill leave the side branch more vertical.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure what the deal is with this tree right now.

It's leaves are all deteriorated. Could it be a disease? I dont think its a watering issue... i havent been overwatering and the soil is still a little moist underneath.

Thoughts?

20200430_183023.jpg
20200430_183034.jpg
20200430_183015.jpg

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The pot is way too big. I suspected it was going to die from your very first post (although I hoped I was wrong). Young JMs are extremely sensitive to being in huge pots because they drain too slowly for that itty bitty root ball.

Now the roots are failing, which is why the foliage is drying up. I'm not sure if you could salvage it now, since the tree likely used up its last remaining energy on leafing out.

If it were mine, I would attempt to "slip pot into a much smaller and much taller pot" (if that makes sense) with well draining soil on all sides of the existing root ball, while being as careful as possible not to disturb it as much as possible.

Resist the urge to let it dry out to fix the problem--the foliage actually needs more water not less. So do a regular watering routine, making sure that water is running freely out the bottom. This is very important for sucking air into the root ball, which is what you need to have a chance.

Best of luck.

Palltergeist

Seedling
Reaction score
Thoughts?

Is it being left outside overnight? 'Central NJ' dropped to 30, 35, and 40F last week. That is cold enough to severely damage young, tender leaves. If this is what happened, it may or not recover.

In the future, if you want to be safe, once the leaves of a maple start to unfurl don't let the tree see anything that 'feels like' under 40F (i personally don't let mine see anything under 46F). Sure, they can tolerate less, but sometimes the weatherman isn't referring to the temperature in your yard, sometimes wind is a factor, sometimes your tree is just weak for whatever reason.

With maples, caution is key for a risk-free sleep-comfortably-at-night bonsai experience. Spray for fungus. Spray for bugs (esp. Aphids). Watch the weather obsessively in spring.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for responses all.

I have a feeling its cold damage too now, since it was outside when the temps dropped to close to 32 degrees the other night. Oddly all my other japanese maples seem fine and were treated similarly.

Regarding the pot being too big, maybe, but I am growing in very well draining soil. I lifted the tree up to see if there were any dead or roots but all looked pretty healthy in color so I put the tree back as it was.

Its been windy also so... maybe that has played a part.

Will see how it does.

Top Bottom