Japanese Maple - 2019

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thought I share what have started since 2018 when I got into this bonsai hobby. Share your first tree and the progression you have done to your first specimen (pride and joy).

Attachments

• 20190402_131425.jpg
    20190402_131425.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Screenshot_20190506-091720_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190506-091720_Gallery.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Screenshot_20190506-092904_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190506-092904_Gallery.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 231

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's an incredible tree! This is your first tree that you got last year, in 2018?

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
That's an incredible tree! This is your first tree that you got last year, in 2018?
Yes, that was my learning tree. I just got attached when I first saw it at Brussel Bonsai. The tree has its flaws but it's a real joy to see it progress and starting to look so natural. The art of Bonsai is very unique and relaxing. I became a green thumb ever since I started. Really enjoy it so far. How long you been doing this?

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
dang, i've been in "the game" since 2017 and I don't have anything like this. BUT i've only collected and bought some cheap pre-bonsai material. I guess my first tree is a Jacaranda Mimosifolia I planted from seed, still alive, nothing special, BUT ALIVE!
Anyways, Nice maple. Anything you want to do with it?

Fan Tan Fannie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, that was my learning tree. I just got attached when I first saw it at Brussel Bonsai. The tree has its flaws but it's a real joy to see it progress and starting to look so natural. The art of Bonsai is very unique and relaxing. I became a green thumb ever since I started. Really enjoy it so far. How long you been doing this?
Very nice Japanese Maple tree! I am planning to visit Brussel's Bonsai around the end of May. Do they have large selection of Red JM tree around your size?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
dang, i've been in "the game" since 2017 and I don't have anything like this. BUT i've only collected and bought some cheap pre-bonsai material. I guess my first tree is a Jacaranda Mimosifolia I planted from seed, still alive, nothing special, BUT ALIVE!
"The artistry of bonsai is directly proportionate to the amount of money you spend on it."

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Smoke speaks the truth. Like car racing, the more you spend the faster your go or anything else, the more you spend the higher up the totem pole you get.
I like it, that is a nice tree. Good start

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very nice Japanese Maple tree! I am planning to visit Brussel's Bonsai around the end of May. Do they have large selection of Red JM tree around your size?

Brussels have many varieties of bonsai. From premium to beginners. I don't remember seeing any red maple specimens. If there was, it wasn't many. It's a hit or miss depending what you're looking for. The place is great to check out though. Currently im looking for a good Shin Deshojo to train and add to my Collection. I'm still looking.

D

Deleted member 21616

"The artistry of bonsai is directly proportionate to the amount of money you spend on it."

Smoke speaks the truth.

Sadly, this is true, and why I'll always be a third rate bonsai artist.

it's only as true as you want it to be. here are two ideas:

- most of my trees look like the 5$ deshojo in the attached photos. i'll show them you again in 30-40 years and you can decide their value after a minimal investment of water, soil, and fertilizer :)

- I think a lot of people mistakenly think there is only 1 job in bonsai, the artist/master who tentatively creates trees to display on their bench or in shown. I personally feel as much a part of the bonsai community--that i am "doing bonsai"--knowing that I am for the most part developing trunks and bases for future generations. There are many many roles in the bonsai world, and there is room for everybody and anybody. it's simply a matter of knowing your budget, time, and skills/talent

Attachments

• IMG_8979.JPG
    IMG_8979.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 114

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it's only as true as you want it to be. here are two ideas:

- most of my trees look like the 5$ deshojo in the attached photos. i'll show them you again in 30-40 years and you can decide their value after a minimal investment of water, soil, and fertilizer :)

- I think a lot of people mistakenly think there is only 1 job in bonsai, the artist/master who tentatively creates trees to display on their bench or in shown. I personally feel as much a part of the bonsai community--that i am "doing bonsai"--knowing that I am for the most part developing trunks and bases for future generations. There are many many roles in the bonsai world, and there is room for everybody and anybody. it's simply a matter of knowing your budget, time, and skills/talent

You conveniently left out the most important quote of all. The CONTEXT.

That is what prompted my post. Your post is snarky and condescending to the OP via Al Keppler. I have been in this game long enough to know both sides of the work. I have already been doing it for as long as you think it will take you to make a masterpiece. I can tell you after 36 years of doing bonsai, that the best way to have a masterpiece is to buy one. I like making bonsai too. I show and have shown that I can do both. I can tell you that if you think you need 30 to 40 years, your doing it wrong......

I was thinking you had grown some..... but I guess I was wrong.

Last edited:

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You conveniently left out the most important quote of all. The CONTEXT.

That is what prompted my post. Your post is snarky and condescending to the OP via Al Keppler.
Who me?!
Didn’t mean anything negative just sharing my first tree.
Hey man if you have the money I have nothing against buying a good tree. I think I will someday I will spend on quality. I’ve got my eye on a few trees... But I’m also developing my own and learning. I like the process and I like the thought that when I’m older I’ll have beautiful trees I have created. (I’m 28)I was just surprised that was your first tree. Quite intimidating if you ask me but good on you for having the balls. When I first started I would of been nervous with that thing. Now, not so much.

As my skill level gets up my trees will get better at in time. No rush! ✌️

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

While you do mention the 30-40 years it'll take, you don't categorize THAT as part of the investment you're making. That's the most significant ...and costly investment you're making..

D

Deleted member 21616

While you do mention the 30-40 years it'll take, you don't categorize THAT as part of the investment you're making. That's the most significant ...and costly investment you're making..

sure, but i was responding to the idea that you had to spend a lot money on a tree to have nice trees or do well in bonsai. my response was focused on providing 2 options that show that it is possible to have nice trees and do well in bonsai without spending a lot of money on trees. 1) develop material (not masterpieces) yourself by starting with cheaper material, and 2) participate in the bonsai community without having to be a bonsai 'artist'.

Imagine where bonsai in america would be today if 50 years ago everybody didn't jump to become 'bonsai artists' and, instead, more people realized that it was important to develop material? I wish @Smoke had started to develop a few thousand tridents 35 years ago. Contrary to spending a lot of money, he would literally be a millionaire right now! ('free' cuttings>add water/time>sell for $500-1000USD x 2000 cuttings (which is not an unrealistic volume) = $2M)

Last edited by a moderator:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Leon as we may have discussed, make sure that you partially defoliate this Sharp's. Otherwise you will most certainly start to loose interior branches. Also make sure you manage the strength of the apex. This cultivar tends to get quite dense!

Great tree!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Share your first tree and the progression you have done to your first specimen
Snide remarks aside, nice idea for a thread.

Not sure if it really is the first tree, but it is the tree which I consider my first step towards growing bonsai. My learning tree one could say..

2012 - 2019
20120201.jpg20190422_R14A1527.jpg

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm very surprised how my post took a wrong turn. Everyone have their own opinions and comments. Please if you don't mind lets stick with the Post. Share your first tree and how you got into the Art of Bonsai. It's all about the learning experience and how you grow from them. Look forward seeing some new comments.

Leon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Leon as we may have discussed, make sure that you partially defoliate this Sharp's. Otherwise you will most certainly start to loose interior branches. Also make sure you manage the strength of the apex. This cultivar tends to get quite dense!

Great tree!

Thanks for the feedbacks. Will do when it's time. Here another shot at a different angle. How is your number #7?

Attachments

• 20190507_071947.jpg
    20190507_071947.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 66
Top Bottom