Japanese Maple #22

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree @Walter. You continue to surprise with top tree after top tree!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Walter, I'm still learning the basics here and your trees are good study material. Can you tell me which direction this tree is pointing to, if it is pointing in any direction at all.
I would like to know how directionality works, how one can find it out by watching a tree and if direction is equally important in every tree.
Thank you for your time.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Direction? How can this not be clear? It goes to the left all the way. Or do you mean what it will look like in 20 years? To teach tree design I have started my Bonsai Academy. It takes years to really understand this.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this one, friggen' killer, bro........

......your pretty good at this!;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Direction? How can this not be clear? It goes to the left all the way.
My inexperience is blurring my view. I don't see it all that clear to be honest. I see the most left trunk pointing left, but the second trunk starts centered and moves left. I get that. But the main trunk starts off a bit centered. The main trunk moves right at the first bend, and then a hard left. But after that a very sharp right.
To be honest, I just don't know what to look for in terms of direction. But I'd like to know it in the future, since this is some basic aesthetic that's best to understand sooner than later, I think.
Is it the foliage that dictates direction, the placement of branches, the trunk? Everything combined?

As for future development, I am far, far away from refinement. So that's something I want to learn and worry about in the future. First I want to understand the basics. Like deciding which direction a tree is pointing to.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
so often in bonsai we hear, 'remove those suckers' 'they will rob the tree of its nutrients':rolleyes:

So i guess this is what happens, when you let a couple of well placed root suckers go and develop them into mini trees:cool:

Maybe the myth about root suckers could be laid to RIP:p

Fantastic!

Top Bottom