Japanese maple #26

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Now I am happy. As one can see the trView attachment 217366View attachment 217367View attachment 217368ee did not blink because of repotting in summer.
I really love this tree because it does not fit any of the recognizable styles mentioned in the literature as I remember. It does however remind me of a tree, an old tree that I have seen along the rivers and valleys in Northern California before the fires.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Recently Bonsai 'Empire did a long video about this tree with me. I hedge pruned it, totally defoliated it and did intensive detailed editing. This will be an educational video with lots of explanations.

View attachment 243844View attachment 243845View attachment 243846View attachment 243847
It is beautiful, and interesting, lacking all the formal design markers for the species. Is it possible for you to provide the link?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Beautiful tree for the most part. Question: Do you plan on doing anything about the large goiter looking growth on the side of the trunk? If it is your plan to keep it how are you going to incorporate it's presence into the design, or are you planing to remove it?

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Beautiful tree for the most part. Question: Do you plan on doing anything about the large goiter looking growth on the side of the trunk? If it is your plan to keep it how are you going to incorporate it's presence into the design, or are you planing to remove it?

I don’t see the goiter, Where is it in relation to the rock?

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Walter Pall, so with a tree like this, that is becoming ramified, what do you do in the future? If you hedge prune a few times this year, do you just do the same thing next year as well? I don't understand what happens when it becomes "fully" ramified. Is it just yearly hedge pruning from here on out or do you have to take out some ramification and start the ramifying process all over again?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Vance, I don't see a goiter. You probabyl mean the rock.

Last edited:

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Walter Pall, so with a tree like this, that is becoming ramified, what do you do in the future? If you hedge prune a few times this year, do you just do the same thing next year as well? I don't understand what happens when it becomes "fully" ramified. Is it just yearly hedge pruning from here on out or do you have to take out some ramification and start the ramifying process all over again?

You should read more about hedge pruning and possibly see the video at Bonsai Empire. Most folks quickly make up their mind and think they know what it is. Then they are puzzled to see that I do something else. The quality of my broadleave trees mostly comes from proper hedge pruning. The quality of the Croatian broadleave trees comes form hedge pruning.

I will hedge prune forever. - about two to three times every year. When it is very dense, like probably next November, I will start to take out ramification where it looks like a bird's nest and leave most where it is not so dense. it will look a lot better then.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You should read more about hedge pruning and possibly see the video at Bonsai Empire. Most folks quickly make up their mind and think they know what it is. Then they are puzzled to see that I do something else. The quality of my broadleave trees mostly comes from proper hedge pruning. The quality of the Croatian broadleave trees comes form hedge pruning.

I will hedge prune forever. - about two to three times every year. When it is very dense, like probably next November, I will start to take out ramification where it looks like a bird's nest and leave most where it is not so dense. it will look a lot better then.
Thank you

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Want to really know how the controversially discussed hedging method works? See the video how I have hedged this maple ten months ago and compare with the result now. Put yourself into a position to have your own opinion and not just repay what others are guessing: www.bonsaiempire.com/courses

10.jpg2020-04-TSC_0807ofx.jpg2020-04-TSC_0808ofx.jpg2020-04-TSC_0809ofx.jpg2020-04-TSC_0810ofx.jpg

Top Bottom