Japanese maple #27

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
I have enjoyed all of your threads showcasing your Japanese Maples, Walter - thank you for taking the time to photograph them all and for posting on here.

I have noticed on these pictures, and others, that you use a lot of guy wires; is this because the branches of the imported tree are too thick to bend in one go with wire? Do you have to use guy wires and just inch the branches down over a period of time? How long would this take to do? Are there some Maples that this will not work with?

Many thanks

Andy

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have enjoyed all of your threads showcasing your Japanese Maples, Walter - thank you for taking the time to photograph them all and for posting on here.

I have noticed on these pictures, and others, that you use a lot of guy wires; is this because the branches of the imported tree are too thick to bend in one go with wire? Do you have to use guy wires and just inch the branches down over a period of time? How long would this take to do? Are there some Maples that this will not work with?

Many thanks

Andy

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/japanese-maple-15.35924/#post-603168

post #14

;)

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a good example to throw a light onto the obsession with 'proper' wiring in present day bonsai. The truth is in the pudding. After all the wire is off - who has the better tree? It is irrelevant a few years later whether the wire was used according to generally accepted principles. Well, this kind of wiring may well become 'generally accepted' if folks find out the benefits.

2019-05-TSB_0119w.jpg2019-05-TSB_0120w.jpg

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very naturally "Burton-like". I love when good technique makes a "naturalistic" tree look fantastic, in all senses of the term, whereas I don't like at all artificial bendings and scarifications.

Top Bottom