Japanese Maple #29

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Japanese Maple #29 - this is after the first step of serious first styling. After the repot in mid-August the tree now gets a break and will be left alone until March/April 2021. Then the whole crown will get wired and the wire will stay on until fall of 2021. After that we'll see.

1.jpg2.jpg2019-10-71104684_660311514491971_276767198633000960_n.jpg2020-03-93045110_1084812825210825_8013882037683355648_nx.jpg2020-04-95279419_653551455491829_7026210031150301184_nx.jpg2020-07-TSC_1491of.jpg2020-07-TSC_1492x.jpg2020-07-TSC_1493x.jpg2020-07-TSC_1494y.jpg2020-07-TSC_1495x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My goodness, I wonder how long since the previous repot? How bad was that akadama? How much old soil and roots did you remove? I though it was better not to work the tree (wire) after late summer repot?. So no hedge pruning next year?
Beautiful tree!

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My goodness, I wonder how long since the previous repot? How bad was that akadama? How much old soil and roots did you remove? I though it was better not to work the tree (wire) after late summer repot?. So no hedge pruning next year?
Beautiful tree!

A few misunderstanding here:

Long since the last repot, but no big deal. About 85 % of the akadama was removed Huge root ball just cut with a reciprocating saw. No kidding.

The tree was worked on immediately after arrival in June. There was no styling work done after repot. The long shoots were left intentionally to help the roots grow very quickly. The tree will be hedge pruned around end of October. Then again three times next year. The tree will be fully wired in March next year. The wire will stay on one year. In five years this maple will shine.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A few misunderstanding here:

Long since the last repot, but no big deal. About 85 % of the akadama was removed Huge root ball just cut with a reciprocating saw. No kidding.

The tree was worked on immediately after arrival in June. There was no styling work done after repot. The long shoots were left intentionally to help the roots grow very quickly. The tree will be hedge pruned around end of October. Then again three times next year. The tree will be fully wired in March next year. The wire will stay on one year. In five years this maple will shine.

I believe you, ive seen many examples in your photos and ive also seen Andria and Marija treating established rootballs the same way.
i use the same methods.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another mouth-watering trunk

@Walter Pall I see many of your trees were imported very recently before they come to you. How do you go about sourcing them? Do you have specific nurseries that send you pictures? Or do you have someone who is in Asia frequently that also looks for you? Can you share some info on this?

Thank you!

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Another mouth-watering trunk

@Walter Pall I see many of your trees were imported very recently before they come to you. How do you go about sourcing them? Do you have specific nurseries that send you pictures? Or do you have someone who is in Asia frequently that also looks for you? Can you share some info on this?

Thank you!

I have a scout who shops in Asia every year. He knows very well what I want. He sends me some pictures and I dedide. it is some sort of risk to purchase expensive trees on pictures. But so far I did well. The agent organizes transport and import to Europe. I pick the trees up after quarantine. All you need is a good scout who is not a crook, lots of money, a very good taste to see possiblities where most see nothing, and guts to be able to make big desisions with little information within minutes.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All you need is a good scout who is not a crook, lots of money, a very good taste to see possiblities where most see nothing, and guts to be able to make big desisions with little information within minutes.
🤣

Well, clearly you have all of those. Some lovely new trees you have been showing the last year!

As for the "lots of money".. Agreed it helpts. Sadly, not running in the big league yet myself.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a scout who shops in Asia every year. He knows very well what I want. He sends me some pictures and I dedide. it is some sort of risk to purchase expensive trees on pictures. But so far I did well. The agent organizes transport and import to Europe. I pick the trees up after quarantine. All you need is a good scout who is not a crook, lots of money, a very good taste to see possiblities where most see nothing, and guts to be able to make big desisions with little information within minutes.

How about selling? I understand that occasionally you do sell but how, where?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How about selling? I understand that occasionally you do sell but how, where?

Well, I do nothing. People approach me and then we'll see. Some understand bonsai prices, many don't . It is muc easier for me to find a good buyer than a relly good bonsai. I absolutely do not ship. Come with big cash to my home and pick up the tree as it is.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some understand bonsai prices, many don't . It is muc easier for me to find a good buyer than a relly good bonsai. I absolutely do not ship. Come with big cash to my home and pick up the tree as it is.
Well-worth the visit. I visited Walter at his place in .. 2012 or something. Too many trees to see them all properly in the hour or so I had. And of a quality that they were out of my league & budget!
I think I asked for 2 or 3 trees what prices would be, which were fair, but still more than I as a beginner wanted to spend, not knowing I could keep them alive.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well-worth the visit. I visited Walter at his place in .. 2012 or something. Too many trees to see them all properly in the hour or so I had. And of a quality that they were out of my league & budget!
I think I asked for 2 or 3 trees what prices would be, which were fair, but still more than I as a beginner wanted to spend, not knowing I could keep them alive.
Well, the "Oktoberfest" is canceled... an opportunity? ;)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When do you guess the original big chop was made? Just your best guess for us curious.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful bark on that trunk. Walter, I am only 4 years into bonsai, and use loose wire for new shoots on maples, but even then, still have to remove to avoid wires biting in. Can you explain leaving on wire for the entire year? Thanks for continuing to post your trees.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Beautiful bark on that trunk. Walter, I am only 4 years into bonsai, and use loose wire for new shoots on maples, but even then, still have to remove to avoid wires biting in. Can you explain leaving on wire for the entire year? Thanks for continuing to post your trees.
Most amateurs are way too nervous abut wire biting in. I let it bite in a little on all trees. Those with smooth bark have to be unwired though. Those with rough bark like this arakawa maple I usually leave the wire for a few more weeks to months. If I made it to October I can then leave on the wire until mid-April. This gives me an extra 5 to six months. After five years wire marks should e invisible on rough bark species.

People are worried because they learn the wrong thing: You MUST take wire off before if bites in. This in ONLY true for finished trees. And then almost nobody has a finished tree and all are in development. Other rules are valid for trees in development.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Walter, to be sure to understand correctly : what is your advise for "smooth bark" maples concerning removing wire ? With smooth bark japanese maple, do you unwire before the wire bites in or not ? Any difference beetwen the tree in developpement and the refinement stage trees about removing the wire on smooth bark maples ?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Walter, to be sure to understand correctly : what is your advise for "smooth bark" maples concerning removing wire ? With smooth bark japanese maple, do you unwire before the wire bites in or not ? Any difference beetwen the tree in developpement and the refinement stage trees about removing the wire on smooth bark maples ?

On smooth bark maples, beech and hornbeam and similar when they are in development I let the wire bite in a bit before I remove it. In the final refinement stage i take the wire off quickly. I also use more guy wires in the final refinement stage. This sounds odd as guy wires look ugly. But it is not about immediate beauty, ti is about a very efficient way to move a branch without much ado and without the danger that wire bites in soon. I sacrifice momentary beauty for future quality. In my work everythng is abut the end result. So do nut judge my trees too much as long as they are in develoment. i do not care whether they look 'right'. The only thing that counts is the look in the very end.

Top Bottom