Japanese maple #5 progression

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
It will look amazing once the graft takes off. Actually is amazing, just saying I like the thought of a second trunk. Don’t let anyone tell you it is too tall or needs more taper. Love elegant trees like this.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It will look amazing once the graft takes off. Actually is amazing, just saying I like the thought of a second trunk. Don’t let anyone tell you it is too tall or needs more taper. Love elegant trees like this.

Ok thank you! 🙏

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Conor!

The bottom right side, in other other words the grafted trunk area, is still being developed and sorted out. I have been careful to refine this tree and all of its parts but not too overly structured. Tough to see in photos but I have a few branches that naturally began to grow downwards. Normally these would be cut off. They brake the mold. I left them as this is something that you see often in wild trees.

I have attached an old maple from Luis Vallejo's collection where we see those gently downward flowing branches. Adds a great feeling of "naturalness".

View attachment 291493

100%. I love the branches that break the rules. Let a tree be a tree, they dont care about our rules.

On one of my small Elms, for the 4 years I have had it, it always has buds popping, in Spring at its 5-6 year old chop point. I always remove these after a few months (left for a bit, for some active growth to help it heal, but its gets too big). Last year, I decided I am going to leave it to grow and have wired it interestingly, and am going to develop a second small apex. The tree clearly wants to grow it, so I thought i would listen to it and let it. In the end I think that second apex will look great.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In years past this maple had maybe around 80% of its branches wired. Slowly I have had less need to use wire and now only a very small amount was necessary to tweak a few spots. Some of secondary and tertiary branching are developing a downwards growth pattern all on their own which is often seen in nature but rarely in bonsai at such small scale. I have included a photo of one of Luis Vallejo's maples which exhibits this curious downwards growth pattern. I understand that it's all naturally occurring and not intentional. It is a favorite tree of mine due to its very natural and "relaxed" character.

Maple #5 last night and ready to pop!

IMG_7817 copy.jpg

Exactly eight years have passed since the tree was re-envisoned as a twin trunk bonsai.

IMG A_7818.jpg

Luis Vallejo's maple at the 2019 Trophy Exhibition. Notice all those beautiful hanging branches!

IMG_0856.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7804.jpg
    IMG_7804.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 69

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Certainly an elegant maple! I like the photo with the lights included. We can glean into the secret of your excellent photos!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In years past this maple had maybe around 80% of its branches wired. Slowly I have had less need to use wire and now only a very small amount was necessary to tweak a few spots. Some of secondary and tertiary branching are developing a downwards growth pattern all on their own which is often seen in nature but rarely in bonsai at such small scale. I have included a photo of one of Luis Vallejo's maples which exhibits this curious downwards growth pattern. I understand that it's all naturally occurring and not intentional. It is a favorite tree of mine due to its very natural and "relaxed" character.

Maple #5 last night and ready to pop!

View attachment 360939

Exactly eight years have passed since the tree was re-envisoned as a twin trunk bonsai.

View attachment 360941

Luis Vallejo's maple at the 2019 Trophy Exhibition. Notice all those beautiful hanging branches!

View attachment 360942
Do you think this downward growth habit is a result of genetics, or something that comes with age? I have noticed on this ground-grown standard jap maple that the branches all have this semi- weeping growth pattern, and while its relatively old maybe 10 yrs, it seems to have been like this from the start. You can see in the pictures how "limp" all the branches are.

20210314_181218.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you think this downward growth habit is a result of genetics, or something that comes with age? I have noticed on this ground-grown standard jap maple that the branches all have this semi- weeping growth pattern, and while its relatively old maybe 10 yrs, it seems to have been like this from the start. You can see in the pictures how "limp" all the branches are.

View attachment 361755

Joe, I don't think it's age as you see plenty of old maple bonsai that don't do that. It may have something more to do with genetics but unsure of it. On yours it may be a little soon to tell. The branches are still quite thin and naturally limp. It remains to be seen if after they thicken up if it retains that growth habit. On mine some of the secondaries, particularly noticeable on the first branch, extend on a sweeping motion down and out. Not because of their weight but seem to have chosen that direction on their own. Other secondaries are beginning to do the same in other areas of the canopy which is nice as it thematically begins to tie the design together.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Really appreciate your aesthetic. I have one last Home Depot tree from my "big box maples are the shit" stage and have been growing it out for a larger trunk. Early this spring I started using ropes to slowly bend the tree as it was stick straight, tightening it every week or so. I've since added about 17 lbs of weight and it is bending nicely. Assuming I don't snap it, I'll be developing this tree in a similar style to yours. Keep on inspiring.

Attachments

• Bendy.jpg
    Bendy.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom