Japanese maple #5 progression

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lots of buds!
Great detail shaping of the branches.Happy Spring.
A friend gave me a Japanese green maple and a trident maple.Both a few years old.If I am successful with cuttings,I am going to start growing these.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't have anything to add to the thread that will interest most folks here. The tree is stellar, and your ideas of what to do with it are better than any I have. Would you be willing to experiment the next time you photograph this tree against a dark background, by placing a light under the table/cart the tree is sitting on, facing the backdrop ....with a little more space between the table/cart and the backdrop? It doesn't even HAVE to be a flash.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Would you be willing to experiment the next time you photograph this tree against a dark background, by placing a light under the table/cart the tree is sitting on, facing the backdrop ....with a little more space between the table/cart and the backdrop? It doesn't even HAVE to be a flash.
To what end?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't have anything to add to the thread that will interest most folks here. The tree is stellar, and your ideas of what to do with it are better than any I have. Would you be willing to experiment the next time you photograph this tree against a dark background, by placing a light under the table/cart the tree is sitting on, facing the backdrop ....with a little more space between the table/cart and the backdrop? It doesn't even HAVE to be a flash.

Sure, I'm always up for experimenting. Trouble here is that what you see is the dark outdoors and not a dark background. With that said, I need to get myself a bigger brackdrop of some sort. Preferably a drop down one. The current cream color wall that I often use for many of my photos is simply not large enough to accommodate some of my trees anymore.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Y
Sure, I'm always up for experimenting. Trouble here is that what you see is the dark outdoors and not a dark background. With that said, I need to get myself a bigger brackdrop of some sort. Preferably a drop down one. The current cream color wall that I often use for many of my photos is simply not large enough to accommodate some of my trees anymore.
You solve that with a longer lens. Do you have more space backwards???

There are some backdrop holders that are fixed to the wall and work like curtain rollers.
b3w_portafondo_expand.jpg

D

Deleted member 21616

can I get a shot with the full moon in the background for the mach5 calendar i'm working on? :p

joke aside, next time it's up for a photo sessions, I would please love a photo from the right side! curious to see the forward/backward movements of this one!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
can I get a shot with the full moon in the background for the mach5 calendar i'm working on? :p

joke aside, next time it's up for a photo sessions, I would please love a photo from the right side! curious to see the forward/backward movements of this one!

Sure you got it Derek! ?

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
To what end?
I probably should've kept the comment to myself, but Sergio seems to put more than a little bit of effort into photographing his trees and I think this suggestion would benefit the image by providing just a bit of separation between the backdrop (which he's now telling me isn't a backdrop) and the stand, as well as allow just a bit more detail to be picked up on the branches in the rear.

Look at any Kokufu book at a picture on a dark background. There's a faint gradient. (It's done differently than I was suggesting, but that'll give you an idea).

Its moot now that I understand that the dark background is instead actual darkness.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love the tiny spring leaves.
Truly an outstanding Spring image.
A friend gave me a 3 year sapling green Japanese Maple that I hope to propagate.
The leaves are great.I let it come into growth in full sun and will keep doing so as long as I can.I’m guessing once above 82 degrees I should protect it some.The tree should be growing nice roots in a root pouch full of perlite and orchid bark.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Any updates on this one Sergio?
Is it number 7?
View attachment 238928

Mike I will post a pic soon. It is going through some "renovations". One of its branches is being air layered since now it looked too thick for the overall image. The newly air layered branch will be used in the future for thread grafts and such to keep improving this tree. Another branch was cut last year and letting the buds at the cut site grow into finer branches etc, etc. The overall design staying the same just hoping for a better tree.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think I may have finally found a pot for maple #5. The current one is nice but looks a bit too new and not best quality (Chinese). This one is by Terahata Mazan and very old. Debating whether I like the white although is full of patina and crackled.

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 3.49.25 PM.png

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's certainly better than current. I just can't get used to shiny pots...
I think the tree speaks loudly enough to stand up to a white pot, and the crackle is nice.

D

Deleted member 21616

It this the same one Sergio? 18.75" manzan that Matt is selling?

My guess is yes, because that looks like Matt's yellow/gold octagon koyo in the back of it (which looks much darker than it is).

big difference in the color depending on the lighting/focus!

Attachments

• 57272128_2267975873470331_5411319748241653760_n.jpg
    57272128_2267975873470331_5411319748241653760_n.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom