Japanese maple #5 progression

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ready for the spring leaves... don't let us wait...

Will do Dirk. Buds are swelling now.

The main tree apex is really resolving in a stunning way.

And to no big surprise the hardest to keep in check and avoid excessive thickening. In the last few years I have been applying what the Japanese call mekiri. This is done to strong apical shoots to balance the energy of the tree. Essentially it involves cutting cleanly the strong shoots about half way before they open. It is a convenient technique as you execute leaf cutting and pinching all at once.

Just for fun

MAPLE5SPRING2010_zpsd40f67a9 copy.jpg

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A

And to no big surprise the hardest to keep in check and avoid excessive thickening. In the last few years I have been applying what the Japanese call mekiri. This is done to strong apical shoots to balance the energy of the tree. Essentially it involves cutting cleanly the strong shoots about half way before they open. It is a convenient technique as you execute leaf cutting and pinching all at once.

Just for fun

View attachment 286634
The root flare development is superb

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice work M5. I notice you paint them with lime sulphur. For whiteness or protection from P&D?

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work M5. I notice you paint them with lime sulphur. For whiteness or protection from P&D?
When is it too late to put lime sulphur on trees? Can I apply after a repot if no leaves have started?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
When is it too late to put lime sulphur on trees? Can I apply after a repot if no leaves have started?

Yes as long as buds are not beginning to break. Make sure to protect pot and cover the soil if you are spraying it like I do.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make sure to protect pot and cover the soil if you are spraying it like I do.
You could have made this remark 4 months ago, you know. Would have safed me a lot of cleaning up.
Just sayin' ;)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Essentially it involves cutting cleanly the strong shoots about half way before they open. It is a convenient technique as you execute leaf cutting and pinching all at once.
When you do this, could you take a picture or two? I am not sure how this works, but it sounds like a good technique to have available!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Just for fun

View attachment 286634
Great before and after.....phoenominal actually!

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
When you do this, could you take a picture or two? I am not sure how this works, but it sounds like a good technique to have available!

the pictures are unfortunately not nearly as good as @MACH5 's will be, but check out p.193 of Meriggioli's Bonsai Maples. He nicely presents mekiri alongside metsumi (pinching, 185-9), chigohagiri (190-1) and chigohazumi (192), which really helps to see the subtle nuances in the execution and effects of each technique

In the last few years I have been applying what the Japanese call mekiri

Sergio sorry to bother! Do you find that it is stimulating back-budding? Have you tried it on vigorous branches lower on the tree, or only in the apex? Thank you!

Last edited:

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
the pictures are unfortunately not nearly as good as @MACH5 's will be, but check out p.193 of Meriggioli's Bonsai Maples. He nicely presents mekiri alongside metsumi (pinching, 185-9), chigohagiri (190-1) and chigohazumi (192), which really helps to see the subtle nuances in the execution and effects of each technique

Sergio sorry to bother! Do you find that it is stimulating back-budding? Have you tried it on vigorous branches lower on the tree, or only in the apex? Thank you!
Please ask him everything because I'll be reading 😄 Maples maples maples!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

No bother at all! I have done mekiri on very strong apical shoots but not only limited to the apex. Yes it does promote the development of those weaker buds further back. But the main reason to apply mekiri is to weaken very strong areas very early on. Doing mekiri, gives you a very early start rather than wait a bit longer to do the traditional bud pinching or metsumi. In some cases it is slightly too late and shoots have began to thicken and elongate. Of course these are all strategies for the "end game" and not for developing trees.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
No bother at all! I have done mekiri on very strong apical shoots but not only limited to the apex. Yes it does promote the development of those weaker buds further back. But the main reason to apply mekiri is to weaken very strong areas very early on. Doing mekiri, gives you a very early start rather than wait a bit longer to do the traditional bud pinching or metsumi. In some cases it is slightly too late and shoots have began to thicken and elongate. Of course these are all strategies for the "end game" and not for developing trees.
These techniques sounds so cool in Japanese. They sound like killer moves! They really are cool techniques 😄 We need some M5 manga.
20200305_100327.jpg

Top Bottom