Japanese Maple #6

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This tree was given to me twenty years ago apparently because the owner thought that it was worthless because of the huge hollow in the trunk and would die soon anyway. It is still alive and I am happy to be able to prove again that trees don't die because of1.jpg2.jpg2003-04-Dscn7644v.jpg2005-04-Dscn01721v.jpg2005-04-Dscn01931v.jpg2005-10-Dsc_1751v.jpg2005-10-Dsc_1787v.jpg2006-04-Dsc_3579v.jpg2006-12-Dsc_0116v.jpg2007-10-DSC_0270v.jpg hollow trunks.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
#6 Japanese Maple is an Absolutely Beautiful Shohin...I like the Rastner Pot of 1st picture the best.
What you accomplish with your Ramification is Amazing, that Canopy is World Class...
The Hollow in the Trunk is almost inconsequential to the Overall, I'm Inspired.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think the hollow adds interest and character. It's outstanding with great colors.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You ever had thoughts on trying to close the hole? With 20yrs passing by in theory it would have been healed over by now if you worked it.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was never interested in closing the hole. It is a feature. Trees do not die because of big holes - this is a bonsai myth. And aesthetically I aboslutely do not wnat it to look like thousands of other maples.
I was even thinking of making it larger again to keep the individual look. No kidding.

Last edited:

SilenceDogwood

Seedling
Reaction score
I was never interested in closing the hole. It is a feature.

I was even thinking of making it larger again to keep the individual look. No kidding.

Walter,
In my opinion this looks more like a flaw than a feature in its current state, is that why you're thinking of expanding it? At what point does a flaw become a feature? Where is the line?

Your humble servant,
S. Dogwood

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Walter,
In my opinion this looks more like a flaw than a feature in its current state, is that why you're thinking of expanding it? At what point does a flaw become a feature? Where is the line?

Your humble servant,
S. Dogwood

Yes, at the moment the hole does not look good. In order to make an ugly hole look good you can either let it close or make it uglier. I will make it uglier next summer. A flaw becomes a feature when you are not trying to hide it but rather show it.

SilenceDogwood

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes, at the moment the hole does not look good. In order to make an ugly hole look good you can either let it close or make it uglier. I will make it uglier next summer. A flaw becomes a feature when you are not trying to hide it but rather show it.
Ah, a featured flaw then! Ugly is beautiful, at least that seems to be a theme in most conceptual art these days... I remember you so thoughtlyfully described it with the vacuum at the Artisans Cup. Personally, I long for the return of 'Beautiful is beautiful' to the art world, but I am only one consumer out of billions. Looking forward to seeing this tree with the carving update next summer.

Your humble servant,
S. Dogwood

Top Bottom