Japanese Maple #8

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Maybe you like it then - or hate it even more.
I like the angle of the soil line and how it makes the tree feel more natural, like a tree on a hillside. It is planted at the perfect angle to make the whole composition feel balanced while still having the energy of the angled slab. Perhaps what I am reacting to is the rockiness of the slab, and if it was moss-covered like a green field it would look softer.

I go back and look at the red pot and I don't like the composition as much :) However I like the pot (by itself) a lot! One day you need to make a thread of your beautiful pots!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice composition. Slabs are more common in Europe and in the UK especially some of you will have seen Elms and Hawthorns being placed in slab pots, Beech too. Rafts and clumps tend to do well in these slabs, they can offer a little more drama.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
As with all radical innovations in the field of art and fashion the majority first reacts in a negative way. It is human nature to try to keep what you are used to. It takes some time for folks to get used to a new view. Often after a a few months or years an innovation like this may become fine with the majority and after a longer while may even become mainstream.
Depends also on people "vision".
For example Ryan Neil is not in favor of the principle of putting lowland trees in shells. But maybe you want to represent a JM surviving on a mountain rock ?
For me, just my2cents, your tree goes to the right and the stone goes to the left, so the result is disconcerting but maybe it is a voluntary choice on your part

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Depends also on people "vision".
For example Ryan Neil is not in favor of the principle of putting lowland trees in shells. But maybe you want to represent a JM surviving on a mountain rock ?
For me, just my2cents, your tree goes to the right and the stone goes to the left, so the result is disconcerting but maybe it is a voluntary choice on your part
Thanks for noticing this. This is exactly what should happen. It brings this good group alive, struggling against the slope of the hill. Otherwise it was good, probably very good - well, too good. So good that it was boring. Now it is coming alive again. That's my personal view. The crude appearance of the stone is also working in this direction. To me it is this group of most beautiful girls growing up in a harsh environment and struggling quietly.

Or some other nonsense like this. This is art and anything goes. In the end the artist may be the only person who likes it.

MGTT

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I truly am in awe of how you continue to push the boundaries in the composition of your plantings. They’re always thought provoking, and raise the level of understanding by highlighting challenges to ‘convention’.
I really enjoy the progressions, studying them, looking at the subtleties that contribute to improvement - simply outstanding.

Top Bottom