Japanese Maple #8

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Spectacular nude silhouette structure. Especially, as evolved from the flat-topped beginning. One of the very best!

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Japanese Maple #8 - This tree has not been pinched in eleven years. It got hedge pruned three times every year and meticulously edited every late fall. It appears that the method works better than conventional methods for getting fine ramification and considerably improving structure, taper and overall feeling of bonsai.
2019-11-TSB_2388ofw.jpg2019-11-TSB_2389ofw.jpg2008-05-NSC_5539v.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Three times a year! Please share your schedule...

bonsai45

Sapling
Reaction score
It appears that the method works better than conventional methods for getting fine ramification and considerably improving structure

you should let fujikawa and kobayashi know, poor guys are working backwards...

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
[
you should let fujikawa and kobayashi know, poor guys are working backwards...

They cannot use the technique, because they have to sell trees. Do more reading. During ths ummer 80 % of the time the tree looks like this. Not so good if you wa2011-10-QDSC_7812w.jpg2011-10-QDSC_7813w.jpgnt to sell. But very good for the tree.

Last edited:

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
[

They cannot use the technique, because they have to sell trees. Do more reading. During ths ummer 80 % of the time the tree looks like this. Not so good if you waView attachment 272327View attachment 272328nt to sell. But very good for the tree.

walter, that’s what many trees in Japanese nurseries look like with trees in development. I know it because I have seen it.
probably less in the gardens of Fujikawa and kobayashi (at least in the public visible part) but that’s only because “finished trees” don’t need this.

bonsai45

Sapling
Reaction score
@Djtommy i agree with you 100% i’m happy you said it!

only somebody who does not understand what is done in japan would say what Walter said. There’s no reason to argue with this guy. He’s set in his ways, and he’s gonna keep saying his ways are “better” or “best” forever, and in so doing he’s going to keep creating worshipers that defend him

it’s a sad situation. reminds me of Death of a Salesman

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
only somebody who does not understand what is done in japan would say what Walter said.

My trees don't live in Japan and anyway there is not a single tree which is exactly like another one. So I suppose there can be very intelligent ways to work them according to the species and the location, among other factors.

it’s a sad situation

I think so too, but I'm not sure at all we mean the same thing.

bonsai45

Sapling
Reaction score
My trees don't live in Japan and anyway there is not a single tree which is exactly like another one. So I suppose there can be very intelligent ways to work them according to the species and the location, among other factors.

that’s precisely my point

scroll up and read wha i was originally responding to

walter said his methods are “better” than conventional methods. better for who? better how? better where? the concept of “better” is arrogant and has no place in any art or craft. Different yes, better no.

by “conventional methods” he clearly means what is done in japan (based on all his other posts), which is why djtommy and i responded regarding japan, which is why bjorn responded regarding japan, which is why everybody else is responding regarding japan on facebook groups and so on

nobody wants to hear this man say his methods are the best anymore, but instead of him cooling his arrogance there’s a group of worshipers going around on his behalf making things worse by attacking innocent people

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify myself here, I wasn’t discussing the hedge pruning technique.
I merely stated that in japan you do come across trees looking like this.
This picture has absolutely nothing to do with hedge pruning in my eyes. It is selectively letting some areas grow stronger to build up strength growth in that area. A technique that is offcourse used in japan. Selectively growing some areas is exactly what hedge pruning is not.
View attachment 272327
Now this picture you would probably not see in japan . And I don’t mean Walter pall being in japan but the actual hedge pruning method. Here he goes being not selective and just cutting back everything to silhouette.(hedge pruning) As for this part I agree this you would not see in japan as each individual shoot would be selectively pruned again.
View attachment 272328

mbunro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
walter said his methods are “better” than conventional methods. better for who? better how? better where? the concept of “better” is arrogant and has no place in any art or craft. Different yes, better no.

i think you will find he said that his method "appears" better than traditional methods. If you take that as anything other than a personal opinion based on his personal experience then that's on you.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As I understand it:
The conventional method to increase ramification is tip pinching. Walter's use of hedge trimming is unconventional, and especially so because he substitutes hedge trimming entirely in place of tip pinching, which he insists is not as effective and is counter-productive.

This does not mean that he disregards all other methods of everything. This does not mean that nobody else in the world ever used hedge trimming. Whatever else is true, his trees are good examples of highly ramified bonsai and I'll forgive him for telling the world that his system works. His proofs are his abundant threads from his starting point to his finished trees, perhaps 40 or 50 very complete threads, maybe more.

Anyone with a good counter argument should begin posting their own proofs.

Reaction score
W
@Djtommy i agree with you 100% i’m happy you said it!

only somebody who does not understand what is done in japan would say what Walter said. There’s no reason to argue with this guy. He’s set in his ways, and he’s gonna keep saying his ways are “better” or “best” forever, and in so doing he’s going to keep creating worshipers that defend him

it’s a sad situation. reminds me of Death of a Salesman
You are being very disrespectful. Keep rude opinions to yourself.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Walter Pall , do you have a thread where you show how the winter editing is performed, which I may have missed (or forgotten about) ?

If not, would you be able to show some before winter cleanup of a branch and after? I am curious to learn the structure after a season of hedging, and the editing done to keep these branches looking organized?

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's just common sense, isn't it? Asking yourself 'What does this tree need to take it forward?' then implementing it.

This tree is the one Walter used to illustrate his original hedge pruning article. In that original he hedge pruned twice in a season. This was to build branches in the development stage to create a much more aesthetically pleasing apex, close wounds, develop the nebari and to increase taper (by allowing the lower branches to grow long and cut back less severely).
Right, when you edit the winter silhouette, you ask yourself the same question again: "What's the plan for this year?" and the answer is now it moves into refinement so what do we do? Increase the pruning to 3 times a year, defoliate and edit again.
The point I'm making here is awareness. Asking yourself, based on the winter image, what's the next step and implementing it. Without a plan, a schedule of timely interventions, your trees will never be the best they can.
The bullshit 'disciple' thing alarms me. Do what pleases you and what you think makes your trees better. By all means share your thoughts and methods with others but always remember the tree's Winter image will speak the loudest of all.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Walter Pall I am always amazed from your work and thanks for this posts. I have implemented for the first time this year your hedge pruning method and got the triple of the ramification from last year where I didn't, so thanks again!

Top Bottom