Japanese maple and kanuma

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have read that Kanuma is good for Maples since it holds water well, and is acidic. But people use various amounts in their mixtures. How much, is too much? Could Japanese maple be grown in 100% kanuma? How about 50% wih 25% pumice, 25% bark?

Or, would these higher concentrations hold too much water or be too acidic?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use Turface MVP. pH is about 5.5 per specs. Cost is about 20% that of Kanuma.
Turface MVP is high fired and won't break down due to freezing.
I continue to grow azaleas, maples, pines, ... 50 some different species in nothing but.

The prestige of Kanuma/Akadama just isn't worth the cost for me.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have read that Kanuma is good for Maples since it holds water well, and is acidic. But people use various amounts in their mixtures. How much, is too much? Could Japanese maple be grown in 100% kanuma? How about 50% wih 25% pumice, 25% bark?

Not a maple person per say...but that's a first I've heard of it. I was going to use Clay King with the maple Ryusen I had and observe to see if I needed to add something for more moisture to the mix...but decided I just didn't want to tinker with substrate...when it's a sentimental tree for the husband. So...I contacted my Go to guy/Scott, who sold me on Aoki substrate. All his deciduous and fruiting go into that mix. Straight mix...sieved of course. Takes the guess work out if it, now...I've Clay King for my ginkgo. Waiting on its commissioned Erin pot. Should have come out if it's last firing in the kiln. Itching to see it.

Scott said...no bark with bonsai. Seems @Adair M is of the same belief. I can't say that I haven't used it. But I am getting away from it.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Prestige, huh? Interesting. Where do I get my akadama trophy?

The one thing that would concern me about 100% kanuma is how soft the material is. It might break down a lot faster than you want. I know many (including
Ryan Neil) use 100% akadama for maples and akadama is a bit harder/more resilient, at least the good stuff. Other than that, I don't know if kanuma has any other
characteristics that would be particularly good or bad for maples.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kanuma is softer than akadama. Some mixes include both Kanuma and akadama.

Akoi and Clay King are very similiar. I’ve used both. I prefer Clay King, but if it’s not available, I’ll use Akoi. I have bags of both.

Clay King comes in two varieties, a conifer mix and a deciduous mix, and you can get each in large or small particles. All my Akoi has been large, and there’s only one mix, at least to my knowledge.

Both are good.

I wouldn’t put a maple in straight Kanuma. An azalea, yes, by all means! But not a maple.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Kanuma is very acidic, and should be used for acid-loving plants like azalea, camellia, and stewartia. I wouldn’t use kanuma for a J maple.

D1raq

Sapling
Reaction score
I use Turface MVP. pH is about 5.5 per specs. Cost is about 20% that of Kanuma.
Turface MVP is high fired and won't break down due to freezing.
I continue to grow azaleas, maples, pines, ... 50 some different species in nothing but.

Do you use an online retailer for your turface mvp? What is a good price?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you use an online retailer for your turface mvp? What is a good price?
I go to a nearby Ewing Irrigation. I know that John Deere Landscape centers carry it too.It is about $17 for a 50 lb bag which is approximately 1.3 cubic feet. Check their web-sites (and also Turface' web site) to find a dealer near you. With on-line, shipping will run another $25 to $30 per bag, I think.

D1raq

Sapling
Reaction score
I go to a nearby Ewing Irrigation. I know that John Deere Landscape centers carry it too.It is about $17 for a 50 lb bag which is approximately 1.3 cubic feet. Check their web-sites (and also Turface' web site) to find a dealer near you. With on-line, shipping will run another $25 to $30 per bag, I think.

Thank you sooo much for the information as you saved me a ton of money. Cheapest I’ve found online was 45 a bag. After reviewing turface website and calling a local distributor, I was able to find it for 14...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you go the akadama route and you have freeze and thaw weather, just make sure that you get the high fired (hard) akadama, there really is a difference. Stay away from the Ryussen brand it's soft. I use straight akadama for most of my deciduous trees, with variations of other substrate mixed in (huyuga, lava) depending on species. Straight Kanuma for Azalea and beech for me.

Top Bottom