Japanese Maple Arakawa

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It was requested that I start a new thread for my Arakawa so here it is. It's very rough, but i got a good deal on it last year. I love the corky bark and I thought it would be a worthwhile project. he first picture shows where the apex had died a few years ago at the nursery and where I cut it flat this winter. I'd like to air layer the back trunk off to try and make a sumo shohin. If you notice, the branch is corked up as well. The second picture is what I think could be the new front. The last picture is a side view, the former back of the tree.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the bark on these and have been looking for one for a while now. Please keep us posted!

Chris

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
damn that bark is sweet. Would love to see the outcome of the airlayer, should be really cool.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This was purchased at NE bonsai, and they had a few more there last time I knew. Thy had a really nice one there this summer for about $700, but I don't know if its still there. I would shoot them an email and see if they have anything in stock.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Chris,

I have some good Rough bark Japanese maples, about four years old. They are rooted CUTTINGS, not grafts so the rough bark will develop on the surface roots as well as the trunk and branches.'

They are in 1 quart containers and $25. They will be on sale during my upcoming Autumn Open House and Sale on September 7-8th.

Bill

ROUGH-BARK-BONSAI.jpg
Rough bark maple, cutting grown for 40 years

LOWER-TRUNK.jpg
Lower trunk and surface root region

AUTUMN-GARDEN.jpg
The large Rough Bark Japanese maple garden tree on the right is the SAME age as the bonsai above. Both came from the same group of cuttings I took. Another view of the bonsai can be seen on the post next to the garden tree.
The garden tree has a surface root about 6 feet from the trunk which is covered with rough bark. Roots not exposed to the sunlight will not form rough bark.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for sharing Bill, your bonsai is outstanding. As a garden tree it is very nice too.

Truth be told, as far as I have dug it looks like there is no graft but I don't know 100% yet. If I need to airlayer the whole tree it would be done I guess.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris,

I have some good Rough bark Japanese maples, about four years old. They are rooted CUTTINGS, not grafts so the rough bark will develop on the surface roots as well as the trunk and branches.'

They are in 1 quart containers and $25. They will be on sale during my upcoming Autumn Open House and Sale on September 7-8th.

Bill

Thanks for the reminder! I had forgotten that you had those cutting grown plants available. Will check them out at the open house.

Chris

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is how things ended for the year. Second pic is my thoughts of a new front. I am still considering layering the small part mentioned earlier in this post to start a sumo shohin. I just love the bark on this tree.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This is how things ended for the year. Second pic is my thoughts of a new front. I am still considering layering the small part mentioned earlier in this post to start a sumo shohin. I just love the bark on this tree.

View attachment 44679

View attachment 44680
Nice trunk, Tom. Arakawa have become an interest of mine as they apparently are vigorous growers so should develop quickly as bonsai, and the bark is awesome. Have you considered starting some branches on the trunk with thread grafts? You've got a few long leaders that might work nicely. I think, with time, this could be a very nice tree. Good luck,

Dave

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bark is eye catching for certain. Do you have any idea the age of the tree or how long it takes for bark like that to develop?

ed

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice trunk, Tom. Arakawa have become an interest of mine as they apparently are vigorous growers so should develop quickly as bonsai, and the bark is awesome. Have you considered starting some branches on the trunk with thread grafts? You've got a few long leaders that might work nicely. I think, with time, this could be a very nice tree. Good luck,

Dave

I think threadgrafting would be a good idea. I like this view and inclination. Where wold you put a thread graft?

image.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The bark is eye catching for certain. Do you have any idea the age of the tree or how long it takes for bark like that to develop?

ed

Ed I have no idea, but I can tell you that there are branches less than 1/4 of an inch in diameter that are barking up. Mr. Valvanis would know more specifics.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I think threadgrafting would be a good idea. I like this view and inclination. Where wold you put a thread graft?

View attachment 44682

I'd think on the outside of that curve would be a spot to consider, as well as something off the back. You really need to decide what image you want for the tree....Will you keep both apexes (I wouldn't but others might), how tall will it be, etc. Have you uncovered the nebari? That's something that might change how you proceed with everything mentioned above.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd think on the outside of that curve would be a spot to consider, as well as something off the back. You really need to decide what image you want for the tree....Will you keep both apexes (I wouldn't but others might), how tall will it be, etc. Have you uncovered the nebari? That's something that might change how you proceed with everything mentioned above.

Thanks Dave, I am also struggling with deciding on keeping both sides or not. I think I am going to work with both for now. I should hopefully an updated pic and a virt tonight.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well this is where we will end it for the year. It has a long way to go but it is fun to work with. The second picture is somewhat what I was thinking if I kept both sides. The apex would need to grow out quite a bit.

image.jpg

image.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great looking Japanese maple. I've been wondering about Arakawa and Nishiki Gawa for a while now. It seems the Arakawa is more popular. While the Nishiki Gawa has more pronounced rough bark, is there some reason why it seems that Arakawa is more often used in bonsai?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great looking Japanese maple. I've been wondering about Arakawa and Nishiki Gawa for a while now. It seems the Arakawa is more popular. While the Nishiki Gawa has more pronounced rough bark, is there some reason why it seems that Arakawa is more often used in bonsai?

I have no idea, maybe someone with more experience can chime in. Thanks for your comment!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unique tree...I like it with both of the "sides" and would probably just develop it that way. The concern I would have with a thread graft - how well would that work on a trunk with this kind of bark? Have never tried it on something like this, only on thin-barked trees.

Chris

Top Bottom