Japanese Maple Arakawa

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased this JM Arakawa when I went to Brussels at the end of last month. Most I have every paid for a tree, hope to learn alot and work into a nice tree over the next few years. The first picture shows where I plan to cut back, maybe next year. Next picture is my attempt to do air-layer, I figure give it a try as those limbs are going anyway. I got it out of the larger pot last weekend, cut back fair amount of roots, but not as much as I think should have been. They were so compact it was hard to spread them much, and was not sure what harm I may do, so as I said this is going to be a long project and I figure I could not go wrong leaving them and take more off next year. I plan to try one thread graft this summer, maybe June. The last picture shows new pot and appears to be Happy :) Just moved it from the carport, did not want the low temps last week to slip a frost in and slow it down.

Attachments

• JM-Cuts.jpg
    JM-Cuts.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 287
  • air-layer.jpg
    air-layer.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Week1 new pot.jpg
    Week1 new pot.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 256

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice looking tree. I'm a fan of Arakawa as we'll. Good luck on the air layers.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What you have could work, but I recommend adding much more rooting medium. At least 3-4 times what you have there. If your air layer is fruitful, then there'll be plenty of medium for more roots to spread and grow.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What you have could work, but I recommend adding much more rooting medium. At least 3-4 times what you have there. If your air layer is fruitful, then there'll be plenty of medium for more roots to spread and grow.

Exactly. I have done... i don't know how many air layers on Maples, and I use more than that every time... And when viewing images of the "professionals", they use about double the amount of Sphagnum moss I use it seems... I would recommend opening those little packs up and adding a good bit more to each one.

Also, just my input on propagation- Maple cuttings root quite easily. I successfully rooted multiple cuttings almost that large just last year, and I am working with multiples larger than that right now... I know people who have rooted Maple cuttings over an inch or way more in diameter... Pearlite, some rooting hormone, wire them in the pot so they can't move... Maybe a little peat moss mixed in for nutrients once the roots start and by next year I bet you would have just as much success. Potential for more trees over all, as your cuttings should be pretty short- you pop a couple of those long shoots off and you could make 3-4 cuttings from each branch. JMHO

I am working on some Arakawa and Coral Bark Maple cuttings right now. From what I have read the Arakawa grow almost an identical root system and develop almost exactly like the "regular" green variety of Japanese Maple (except for the rough bark of course)... So, they should root really easy. Again- just my advice. If yours don't work out, you will get plenty more whips to root in the coming years as long as you keep that tree healthy. I have one parent Maple that has produced a garden full or cuttings and layers. I had to give some away a couple years back because I grew so many!

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Branch Graft

Thumbless and Eric,
Thanks for the advice, I have only "tried" grafting one time, long story, nothing to tell. :(
The Arakawa that were around mine at Brussels had many branches they were doing grafting on. They were using aluminum foil to wrap around the moss and come to think of it, it was larger/more moss. I can see where the foil would be easier to work with than the "wrap", it is hard enough to just get it off the roll. Eric, I only did a few grafts, I thouht of trying more as you said are there. Matt (Brussels) had said he saw at least 15.
With these cuts being done 2 weeks ago today, what damage will it do to remove the wrap and add more moss... sure I will "try" to not distrub the existing moss and just add to it. But if it does fall off when I remove the wrap....? And what about the foil...?

Thanks for the Help!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thumbless and Eric,
Thanks for the advice, I have only "tried" grafting one time, long story, nothing to tell. :(
The Arakawa that were around mine at Brussels had many branches they were doing grafting on. They were using aluminum foil to wrap around the moss and come to think of it, it was larger/more moss. I can see where the foil would be easier to work with than the "wrap", it is hard enough to just get it off the roll. Eric, I only did a few grafts, I thouht of trying more as you said are there. Matt (Brussels) had said he saw at least 15.
With these cuts being done 2 weeks ago today, what damage will it do to remove the wrap and add more moss... sure I will "try" to not distrub the existing moss and just add to it. But if it does fall off when I remove the wrap....? And what about the foil...?

Thanks for the Help!
You should be fine adding moss now as it's unlikely that any roots have formed. With luck, you may see some callus tissue which is the precursor to roots. Nice stock and it looks like you're having fun with it. Good luck.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good advice, mine pushed out a ton of roots last season.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I added more moss last week, doubled the amount on each of the cuts, it does not look like that much after I wrapped it. As you can see I had move the trees back under the carport for the frost last week here. Back outside at end of week and then the wind was blowing them off the benches :mad:
I plan to cut the limbs in September and put them in the ground.
Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• MoreMoss.jpg
    MoreMoss.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 121

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
AirLayer Update

Looks like I have some roots in the moss. I took a couple of pictures today, I plan to let them grow through the summer and cut in the fall, put in ground and pots. As I was looking for my thread to put this in I ran across MACH5 thread of his air layer, makes mine "look kinda small" :) but I will have learned something either way, Maybe how to do or Maybe how Not to do.

Attachments

• AirLayer1.jpg
    AirLayer1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 106
  • AirLayer2.jpg
    AirLayer2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 93
  • AirLayer3.jpg
    AirLayer3.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 102

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well done!

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My main priority is to find one of these next Spring. I LOVE their look.

Any updates?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Does it matter to start the airlayers on branches with no leaves like in the first pics in the original post??

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I also started mine with a Japanese maple when it had no leaves, wanting to have roots sooner. Two airlayers that rooted about the same time as these. If I had waited for leaves to harden, then I probably wouldn't have roots as soon. I've separated one about a week or two ago and regretted it. It's still alive but the roots were still too fragile and young. I'm leaving my other airlayer intact until October or November.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Did these work?

I found a house that has an arakawa, took a branch but don't know if Arakawa root as hardwood winter cuttings.

I might ask them if I can layer a branch in summer.

Top Bottom