Japanese Maple, 'arakawa'

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It got a head-start as I air-layered it in 2011. It hasn’t gained much over the last 4 years in a Bonsai pot. The base has spread a little due to root work, and it may appear a bit fatter because it’s been reduced in height by about 50% since the 2015 photo. The plan is to grow it slowly over years in a pot to give it plenty of refined movement and taper that won’t happen if allowed to grow fast in the ground. If it doubles in size over the next 5-7 years, I’d be content.
View attachment 232114
That is mind blowing for me
thanks for sharing

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice looking trees and the twin trunk is the star.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi @Brian Van Fleet ,
Just wanted to ask and in no means attacking your tree or this thread.
In general, from a newbie designer perspective I get told that my tree has a “slingshot” rather than a more desirable “twin trunk”.
Just hoping you could give me some pointers as to what consists of a slingshot (twin trunk) and how to design a twin trunk style so it conveys a message like your updated photo.
Is it the length of the two trunks? Girth of one vs the other? Bit confused and thanks in advance for your answer.
Charles

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trunks need to emerge from the soil line together. Not jutting out, higher on the trunk. Them's be branches at that point.....slingshot!!o_O:D:D:D

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi @Brian Van Fleet ,
Just wanted to ask and in no means attacking your tree or this thread.
In general, from a newbie designer perspective I get told that my tree has a “slingshot” rather than a more desirable “twin trunk”.
Just hoping you could give me some pointers as to what consists of a slingshot (twin trunk) and how to design a twin trunk style so it conveys a message like your updated photo.
Is it the length of the two trunks? Girth of one vs the other? Bit confused and thanks in advance for your answer.
Charles
The term slingshot usually refers to a split which is too high to be a twin-trunk, and maybe too low to be considered a good broom. In addition, the two trunks usually have the same length, thickness, and are symmetrically balanced. A quick search turned up this tree, that while it has 3 main branches, reminds me of a slingshot look.
360B39D9-8D3D-4C63-8953-C7130B75F1F9.jpeg
It is best to have a twin trunk separating just above the nebari, having two distinct movements but that interplay well together. They should have different lengths and thicknesses.

deadcs

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
beautiful!!!

¿can you tell me please how many branches have you grafted in this maple?

Last edited:

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
In your experience, when is the best time of year to air layer these?

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
would thread grafting seedlings through the front nebari to get more roots there be an option for this species. seems regular thread grafts are no problem.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
would thread grafting seedlings through the front nebari to get more roots there be an option for this species. seems regular thread grafts are no problem.
Well, I wouldn’t recommend using seedlings on an arakawa maple because you’d want any exposed nebari to have the same corky bark as the rest of the tree. Thread grafts do seem to take easily, so you might want to take cuttings from yours first, and use them later to thread-graft to improve the nebari so you’d have the same cultivar.

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Hi all

I acquired a few Maples last year that belonged to a friend that passed away, His sister invited me and some friends that used to meet up with her brother fortinightle to see to our trees, They had been left unwatered and most were already perished unfortunately :(

I brought this Arakawa home that's survived but it looks as though the thick branches/trunks were cut back and new leaders allowed to grow but they're very skinny by comparison!!

I tried puting some wire on a couple of the other trees but the branches snapped as soon as I tried moving them, Does anyone know if them being dehydrated for so long will make the wood brittle as it seems like it to me, I've never come across such brittle limbs on any tree, It seems worse thanBox!!

I daren't have a go at wiring this one as i'm pretty sure it will break! :oops::rolleyes:
NqGxBpe.jpg

John 👍

Last edited:

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi all

I acquired a few Maples last year that belonged to a friend that passed away, His sister invited me and some friends that used to meet up with her brother fortinightle to see to our trees, They had been left unwatered and most were already perished unfortunately :(

I brought this Arakawa home that's survived but it looks as though the thick branches/trunks were cut back and new leaders allowed to grow but they're very skinny by comparison!!

I tried puting some wire on a couple of the other trees but the branches snapped as soon as I tried moving them, Does anyone know if them being dehydrated for so long will make the wood brittle as it seems like it to me, I've never come across such brittle limbs on any tree, It seems worse thanBox!!

I daren't have a go at wiring this one as i'm pretty sure it will break! :oops::rolleyes:
NqGxBpe.jpg

John 👍

I would make sure they are in good soil and healthy before anymore styling.

And you should start your own thread so you dont hijack BVFs maple thread, and people are more likely To see it and stop by 👍🏻

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
I would make sure they are in good soil and healthy before anymore styling.

And you should start your own thread so you dont hijack BVFs maple thread, and people are more likely To see it and stop by 👍🏻

Ahh, Sorry, I didn't realise it was looked upon as a Hijack, I'll know for future- Thanks 👍

John :)

Top Bottom