Japanese Maple, 'arakawa'

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here is a stock plant I bought in fall '08, worked down the roots pretty hard in spring '09, and stuck it into a big wooden box and forgot about it for a couple years, except to layer a couple branches out of it.

Yesterday I noticed it was pushing growth pretty hard, so I decided to repot it and work down the roots again. Thought I'd share the progression from a 24" square box to about a 14" mica oval. It still needs a lot of nebari work, but it's headed in the right direction.

Attachments

• Arakawa Maple (0).jpg
    Arakawa Maple (0).jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 1,275
  • Arakawa Maple (1).jpg
    Arakawa Maple (1).jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 1,195
  • Arakawa Maple (2).jpg
    Arakawa Maple (2).jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 1,138
  • Arakawa Maple (3).jpg
    Arakawa Maple (3).jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 1,198
  • Arakawa Maple (4).jpg
    Arakawa Maple (4).jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 1,315

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice trunk line Brian. Should make a pretty tree. We have about 3-4 weeks before the maples start showing signs of growth here in Iowa.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Nice spread to the base on this one, great taper, too. I'm wondering why you didn't put it back in the box for another few years to really fatten the roots. I look forward seeing this one develop, and I look forward to updates. Thanks for posting,

Dave

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice looking tree, that is going to have an impressive base in a few years. Do you know of anyone who can ship these to California?

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree, a few more years in the bigger box and those roots would be looking mighty nice and fat. Great starter stock definitely some potential and its already got a nice thick trunk with some taper to boot.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It probably could have gone back to a wooden box, but I removed SO much of the root system that I opted for a smaller container; it will probably just sit on the ground and "escape" this year. I'm also planning to do some root grafts to fix some of the problem areas, so it will be repotted annually for the next few years.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
very nice tree. :) i have two of these myself and i look forward to developing them.

brian, do you apply any manner of sealant/disinfectant/etc to the largest of the wounds on the rootball? removing large roots makes me nervous!

cheers,
rick

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
very nice tree. :) i have two of these myself and i look forward to developing them.

brian, do you apply any manner of sealant/disinfectant/etc to the largest of the wounds on the rootball? removing large roots makes me nervous!

cheers,
rick

Thanks Rick! I don't apply anything to the large cuts on the bottom of the root ball, just make sure the cuts are done and finished with very sharp tools so you get a clean edge. Large roots are really useless in bonsai, and if you work the tree upside down, removing everything that grows downward, the base spreads better, and you should be left with a good pad of fine radial roots.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
kite-eating bonsai tree-(nice name by the way) I have never really worried about it myself, but have heard mention in an article in Bonsai Today. In the article they were working on a Trident and they mentioned placing some charcoal powder or small granules on the bottom of the rootball that was cut back heavily leaving the wood exposed. Not sure of the reason for it though,or what it might help with.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you seal large cuts in the rootball, you are preventing what you're root pruning FOR. Cut roots are stimulated to produce NEW roots. Gumming them up with sealant prevents that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
thx for the clarification, rockm. that's what i wasn't sure about ... the immediate concern (i would think) is infection. applying a sealant would (hopefully) address the concern ... but then how long before the wound cures and the sealant falls away? at least a year i would suspect (?). roots would then start growing after that (?)

on the other hand, the emphasis is on radial root production (as brian duly noted earlier). ... a very flat root base would be keen to see!

(apologies to you brian, don't mean to re-direct the post). :)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Germs, and infections are for people, stop worrying about the tree. rockm gave good advice, you want that cut to be open to allow new roots to sprout out. Covering it, and waiting a year for it to heal, is just that healing over the wound with callus, but this is where you want roots to grow.

Some initial root prunings can be brutal, but not that big of a deal. This is one of the reasons that after a severe root pruning, you let the tree regain vigor for 2 to 3 years, then go for styling etc.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The method I referred to with the charcoal seems like it is for a preventive measure to fungus's and things of the sort, and I would assume (again I myself have never done this) that it wouldn't inhibit any new root growth. Cut paste is meant for above the soil seals not below (and its use in itself is highly speculative). When talking about how long it takes to fall off depends on how fast the tissue underneath takes to start healing and pushing it off. If anything when making a cutback on a large root it is better to paint on some rooting hormone, but this also isn't really necessary as most trees are willing to do so readily!

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"If anything when making a cutback on a large root it is better to paint on some rooting hormone, but this also isn't really necessary as most trees are willing to do so readily!"

Putting rooting hormone on roots can actually SLOW root development. Rooting hormones are for non-root tissue. They will not stimulate roots from root tissue...The tree will not become "infected" at the site. Tree roots have evolved growing in dirt. Putting sealant on the wound (since root cuts mostly face downwards can act like a cup that collects water. That standing water can rot the root. It is une

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, I am digging this post for a question, I just bought an arakawa it is very young and it is grafted, would air-layering it to get rid of the graft work? I mean can it live on its own root system or it is too weak and that's why it is grafted?

I will never make a decent bonsai with the graft mainly due to the difference of bark if I forget anything else

thanks

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The short answer to your question is if you air layer above the graft, you will have arakawa.

Arakawa and other cultivars aren't so much grafted onto other root stock because they're weak on their own roots -- although some trees are. It's primarily because they can't be effectively grown from seed. Their rough bark (and other culivar traits) aren't necessarily passed onto offspring. So, in order to keep that nice bark without relying on seed, you graft it onto something.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and grafting is faster then air layering for commercial production I suppose ?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is quicker, more reliable and less labor intensive.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
excellent work! I love arakawa maples! Wish they were easier to find!

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what is the plan for the big branch scar on the right side of this guy, where it looked like it forked?

Top Bottom