Japanese maple branch cut

Fan Tan Fannie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi everyone,

I have cut some low branches on my chitose-yama Japanese maple couple weeks ago. Attached is the photos of the cut wounds today. They have just a drop of sap. And seems to be healing. Should I put some Elmer's wood glue to cover them? Or just leave them alone. Thanks.IMG_20181205_120625275_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_120657004_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181205_120657004_HDR.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20181205_120717452_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181205_120717452_HDR.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 35

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Fan Tan Fannie, when one cuts a branch, a ring of cambium is exposed to the air which will disiccate it and force it to die back until there is enough dead cells to stop the moisture loss. Then the cambium will resume its normal growth, producing new wood cells on the wood side, phloem, cork and rubbery epiderm on the outside that eventually become bark. Promptly applying a moisture barrier (e.g., cut paste, Elmer's glue, plastic wrap) to the exposed cambium prevents its desiccation and hence eliminates the die back. The wound 'heals faster' as a consequence.

The dribble of sap oozing from the cut is xylem sap. Not to worry, it is completely harmless, but it is prudent to wash it away after a few days as the sugary stuff is fertile ground for mildew and the like. This is nothing like cutting off a finger which truly bleeds.

Fan Tan Fannie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Fan Tan Fannie, when one cuts a branch, a ring of cambium is exposed to the air which will disiccate it and force it to die back until there is enough dead cells to stop the moisture loss. Then the cambium will resume its normal growth, producing new wood cells on the wood side, phloem, cork and rubbery epiderm on the outside that eventually become bark. Promptly applying a moisture barrier (e.g., cut paste, Elmer's glue, plastic wrap) to the exposed cambium prevents its desiccation and hence eliminates the die back. The wound 'heals faster' as a consequence.

The dribble of sap oozing from the cut is xylem sap. Not to worry, it is completely harmless, but it is prudent to wash it away after a few days as the sugary stuff is fertile ground for mildew and the like. This is nothing like cutting off a finger which truly bleeds.
Thank you for your advice. I put a thin layer of wood glue over the cut wounds. Is the enough or reapply another layer?

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_133247771_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181205_133247771_HDR.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 33

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you for your advice. I put a thin layer of wood glue over the cut wounds. Is the enough or reapply another layer?
A thin layer is fine. It only needs to remain in place for the time it takes cambium to form a new epidermis which is about 15 days when temperatures are around 70F (longer if colder).

btw, you don't need to worry about removing it as new growth will eventually cause it to fall off.

Fan Tan Fannie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A thin layer is fine. It only needs to remain in place for the time it takes cambium to form a new epidermis which is about 15 days when temperatures are around 70F (longer if colder).

btw, you don't need to worry about removing it as new growth will eventually cause it to fall off.
Good to know. Right now, it is around low 30s outside. The glue is drying because it is clear instead of white

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take a load off Fannie!

I don't cut branches this time of year...but maybe you're on the other hemisphere...
I'd leave it be....
Mmmmm......maple syrup....?

We know how I got here!

How the hell have I missed someone with the coolest name ever?

You snapped with that post!

Welcome to Crazy. Sorry that giant pink elephant went unnoticed for years.

Put the load right on me.

Sorce

Top Bottom