Japanese Maple branch dying

Ophelia

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hiya, I'm hoping someone here may be able to offer some advice. I have posted on a couple of forums but so far I have had no reply and I'm becoming increasingly concerned for my tree.
It is a Japanese Maple that I have had for some years. Last year I did a re-pot and it seemed ok. It is starting to come out into leaf all over but I have noticed that a couple of branches are still in bud and they don't appear to be swelling. The other odd thing is that these branches are orange/red in colour rather than the lime green of the branches that have leaves.
I have been feeding with liquid seaweed since mid-march and I did a foliar spray of Rhizotonic in slight desperation yesterday. I've attached some photos. There do appear to be some other dead areas in the other canopies but just odd branches.
I'm really concerned that it's a virus or disease that can't be cured. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Photos have not appeared which makes it really difficult to assess the problem.
There are a number of problems that sound similar to the description so I'm hesitant to offer diagnosis and advice without further info. There are very few problems that cannot be treated if treatment starts early enough.
Liquid seaweed is a very very mild fertilizer with unpredictable levels of nutrient. Down here it is not actually sold as fertilizer because of this and is only promoted as a supplement to proper fertilizer.
Since you have had the tree for 'some years' I assume other aspects of care -location, watering, etc are OK but it may help to provide more detail like what time of year you repotted,
how much root was removed, soil used, where the tree is kept, sun, shade, etc. You cannot give too much detail when looking at problems.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Photos would really help. Just drag and drop them from your desktop into your post. Also make sure to include photos of the soil.

I would hold off on fertilizing for now. Never fertilize a stressed tree. Also never fertilize a dormant tree. For deciduous, wait until they bud out in the spring (using stored resources) and THEN fertilize.

Ophelia

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hiya thank you for your replies. I don't know how I did it but I seemed to have posted 2 posts the same except one has photos ( I must be some kind of computer wizz :D )

Top Bottom