Japanese maple branches dying off??

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
Here are a couple of my maples, the small one was recently re-potted and is filling in nicely, my maple forest is the one I'm having a bit of trouble with....what causes some of the main branches to die off even tho the tree is producing buds everywhere?fmaple2.jpgfmaple1a.jpgjmaple2.jpgjmaple1a.jpgjmaple3.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I haven't had full branches die like that but I have had new growth get burnt at the ends. I must say though, since you started coming to the nursery last fall you have built a very impressive collection. Kudos to you, that JbP you just got has to be one of the best I've seen come into the nursery.

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
I haven't had full branches die like that but I have had new growth get burnt at the ends. I must say though, since you started coming to the nursery last fall you have built a very impressive collection. Kudos to you, that JbP you just got has to be one of the best I've seen come into the nursery.

Thanks!!...I was into bonsai years ago (had about 40 plus trees or so). Then I became ill and got rid of my collection. now that Im feeling a bit better, I want to get back into it. Not looking to have a large collection again, just want a few nice specimen trees!!

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You may want to tear the moss out of there on the forest group. Looks like its getting a little thick on the soil surface.

D'Angelo

Mame
Reaction score
You may want to tear the moss out of there on the forest group. Looks like its getting a little thick on the soil surface.

Yeah...time to do that as well as repotting, its root bound im sure and wondering if that could be the cause??

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's possible the forest is staying too wet.

The forest has two trees the same height. Choose one to be the tallest and cut the other back. I would choose whichever one has the thickest trunk to be the tallest. Otherwise, it's very nice!

Your Japanese maple single tree needs cutting back.

Top Bottom