Japanese Maple Chop Advice

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hello BNuts!
Got this Japanese Maple Ryusen from a nursery that will be getting repotted in spring.
Hoping to get chop advice as I think some of the branches are way too thick.
Should I chop all of the branches this spring and regrow all of them or do you see ones I should consider keeping?

Not sure if it will be possible to train branches other than in weeping style as that is the habit of the Ryusen.
Just hoping to develop better structure. Thoughts and suggestions welcome!
I thought it had potential but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• JMaple1.jpg
    JMaple1.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 177
  • JMaple4.jpg
    JMaple4.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 139
  • JMaple5.jpg
    JMaple5.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 159

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is common to have to remove most branches from fast grown JM in order to get better proportion and ramification in branches. Fortunately most Jm bud well from branch collars so you usually get plenty of new buds to develop new branching. The trick then is to slow growth so that the new branches have short internodes. I also prune regularly while regrowing branches to get better taper and some natural bends. Trying to hurry through to full size at that stage just defeats the purpose.

I would be wary of the higher cluster of branches. Removing 2 of those would leave a very large cut round more than half the trunk which could compromise sap flow to the top section and will take ages to heal. I usually go slower in situations like that - remove one branch flush but shorten the other one enough to reduce vigor but still retain viability. Only remove the remaining branch when the first is partially healed enough to have viable sap flow through the new bark - sometimes several years.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
It is common to have to remove most branches from fast grown JM in order to get better proportion and ramification in branches. Fortunately most Jm bud well from branch collars so you usually get plenty of new buds to develop new branching. The trick then is to slow growth so that the new branches have short internodes. I also prune regularly while regrowing branches to get better taper and some natural bends. Trying to hurry through to full size at that stage just defeats the purpose.

I would be wary of the higher cluster of branches. Removing 2 of those would leave a very large cut round more than half the trunk which could compromise sap flow to the top section and will take ages to heal. I usually go slower in situations like that - remove one branch flush but shorten the other one enough to reduce vigor but still retain viability. Only remove the remaining branch when the first is partially healed enough to have viable sap flow through the new bark - sometimes several years.
Ah ok. Thanks for the advice. I'm glad you mentioned that because I was thinking about reducing it all down to the trunk in one session. I'll slow the roll and make sure to keep a couple branches but I will just cut them back until I get the growth where needed. Much appreciated!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My 2c would be to remove the thick heavy branch at the top of the picture, and air later it under the bulge.

twin trunk JM

Attachments

• D1C4F8FA-83A7-404B-97EF-4DE9F1D7CCF5.jpeg
    D1C4F8FA-83A7-404B-97EF-4DE9F1D7CCF5.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 140

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow...good eye...thanks for the suggestion!
Hmmmm.....
Disregard my above post, I didnt realize this was a weeping variety. You can try to go against its natural habit, but I think you will drive yourself mad.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Ok got a good winter silhouette for evaluation. I also tried a virtual edit of possible reduction.
Thoughts, suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• RyusenWinter21a.jpg
    RyusenWinter21a.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 91
  • RyusenWinter21b.jpg
    RyusenWinter21b.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 74
  • RyusenWinter21Virt2.jpg
    RyusenWinter21Virt2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 72

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Here's another virtual edit of the other side. I know it's not exactly the same but it's close to what I'm thinking.
Can't wait for the spring chop and repot.

Attachments

• RyusenWinter21Virt3.jpg
    RyusenWinter21Virt3.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 78

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Before you move forward with chopping this tree, read this thread. While not a "how to style your weeping maple" thread it has a lot of insight on the tree and plenty of pictures of the progress made.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Before you move forward with chopping this tree, read this thread. While not a "how to style your weeping maple" thread it has a lot of insight on the tree and plenty of pictures of the progress made.

Ahh yes, I have seen that thread before and they do look nice. Now with fresh eyes I am reconsidering the direction. Thanks for sharing!

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Nod.

But no input as I do not know the growth habit of this species at all.
Therein lies my dilemma...growth habit seems to be weeping.
However I am curious if it can be trained into a more traditional style or not weeping.
Thinking I would have to be diligent with clip and grow method not giving branches a chance to arc.
OR do I just go with nature and utilize the weeping for a better appearance. Besides the thread reference above I am not seeing alot of other examples of this species.
Guess I'm looking for opinions...maybe I should start a survey.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
If thi is what you are after, why not get a regular japanese maple instead? Am I missing something?
Nah...and I know that is the obvious solution. I guess I was just curious if it could or should be attempted. Maybe this should be the first so then others will know? I mean what could go wrong? Ha ha

Top Bottom