Japanese Maple: Complete branch removal with first potting?

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I have a basic question here. I have a field grown red japanese maple currently sitting in burlap and field soil awaiting spring for me to put it in a wooden box with bonsai soil. Almost all of the existing branches are overly large and out of position. Is there any reason why I can't do a near complete branch removal when I do my root pruning and repotting? Basically, I am wondering if I need to keep some branches to maintain vigor/health of the tree.

Thanks,
Lars

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Flying blind without photos, but since we're taking basics, here are a couple thoughts:

If you remove most of the large branches, consider delaying aggressive root work until the tree has closed the wounds. Big chops plus heavy root work into a smaller pot means the big chops will be very slow to heal.

Further, you may want to consider keeping some branches you can use to thread-graft into the right spots.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Flying blind without photos, but since we're taking basics, here are a couple thoughts:

If you remove most of the large branches, consider delaying aggressive root work until the tree has closed the wounds. Big chops plus heavy root work into a smaller pot means the big chops will be very slow to heal.

Further, you may want to consider keeping some branches you can use to thread-graft into the right spots.

Thanks Brian. I might be able to use a couple of them for grafting. I didn't think of that.

Top Bottom