Japanese maple cuttings care

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I put a dozen of Japanese maple cuttings in a 4" deep tray and they are budding out. How long will it take for them to develop roots and when should I separate them into individual pots?

Thanks for your help.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I find when I take cuttings in winter the leaf out long before any roots start growing. Safest bet is to wait until next year

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I find when I take cuttings in winter the leaf out long before any roots start growing. Safest bet is to wait until next year
I'm pretty sure there are no roots at the moment. The leaves come from residual energy in the cuttings. I'm hoping the roots will come along soon.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I do mine in 100% sifted pearlite. Seems to work well.
Mine are in a mix of NAPA oil dry and pumice then topped with a thin layer of bark to keep things from drying out. I have a lot of wind where I live. Everything has to be topped with bark or mulch or the roots will dry to a crisp no matter how many times a day I water. The small cuttings are in a covered clear plastic box. The large cuttings are outside.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How did you treat them, when did you take the cuttings?
B

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
How did you treat them, when did you take the cuttings?
B
I went to Mellow Mullet's house a couple weekends ago. He gave me the cutoff from his trunk chop. I tossed it in my truck. The next day I cut it to small pieces with the cuts 1/8" below the internode. I scrape the cuttings lightly, dipped them in rooting powder and stuck them in the tray. I then lightly misted the tray and put it in a covered clear plastic box where it gets indirect sunlight. That's about all I did. I'm still not sure they will take but so far they are leafing out.

PS: I open the plastic box once a day to refresh the air and mist to keep it moist as needed.

Last edited:

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks - I took a few from a tree I trimmed, scraped and dipped, put in perlite and sand... Misting by hand, need to cover, sounds like

B

Lionheart

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just took one last night and put it in a glass with a bit of water. It sounds like I should move it into some substrate. We'll see what happens.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've actually had pretty good luck in pure pearikte, placed underneath bench and watered daily. Wind is definitely not good for cuttings. O and not covered.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have done some cutting last year during late spring and early summer, I got only two that successfully have root and I have re-potted a week ago but I agree with the rest I believe the safest approach would be to wait an year.

eplov90

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Sorry to hear that -- it must have been a really rough time!

Top Bottom