Japanese Maple - Droopy and orange leaf tips - help/ suggestions?

CammSai419

Seed
Reaction score
I recently purchased this Japanese Maple. When I bought it, all of the leaves had dried out and were about to fall away. Over the next couple of days, they ultimately came off. I figured it was due to it being the beginning of Autumn. I fed the tree some Seasol and some liquid fertiliser over the coming weeks, and some new leaves started to grow back. However, now the leaves are a bit more mature. They seem quite droopy and have a reddish colour towards the tips. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to do. I feel that the soil isn't the best draining substrate and that I've potentially overwatered it ( It has rained quite a lot recently in Sydney, and half of the time, it has been kept outside and exposed to the rainy weather). I want to re-pot the plant or even remove some soil and put better soil in. However, I'm not sure that would be the best option considering it's already Autumn, and there wouldn't be much time for the plant to grow fresh roots or overcome the stress of repotting... I have attached some photos, and if anyone has any advice on what to do to make my plant flourish, I would appreciate it :)IMG_5407.JPGIMG_5411.JPGIMG_5412.JPGIMG_5413.JPGIMG_5414.JPGIMG_5415.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I cannot see any problem with that Japanese maple.
New leaves on many JM have reddish tips and new leaves typically hang down until they harden up and achieve full size.
Your tree is a bit confused about the season but that often happens when they are pruned hard or lose leaves close to the end of the growing season. I've had JM grow new leaves late like this and hold them right through winter. Does not seem to cause any long term problems.

I'd hold off on repot for now, especially with the new leaves growing. I know it has been wet up there but try to manage the soil water a little longer. I have no problem root pruning JM any time from mid winter through to new leaves in spring. If this one does try to retain leaves through winter juts defoliate when you do the transplant.

BTW, add Sydney, Australia to your personal profile so others know at a glance where you are. Makes it easier to give appropriate advice.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing wrong with your tree. New growth droops while it matures. Orange color is sun exposure-nothing to worry about. Normal...

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here’s a visual example -this one just flushed out, perfectly healthy. I brought it into the house for the night because the temps plummeted.
51EC5C08-17CB-452A-B074-553FDC13F89E.jpeg

CammSai419

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you so much to everyone for the responses, I am happy to say that my maple is going really well. Thank you for all of your feedback and I hope to also input knowledge. Once I have a better understanding and knowledge of this fine are I hope to contribute and help someone like myself on this forum

Camm

Top Bottom