Japanese Maple Forest Planting

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nicely done! I like the fact you have kind of create two levels in the pot between the trees I have seen this on a YouTube video before as well and the effect is great. Keep us posted on the progression - Thanks

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Bobby yeah I think they should be ok. Its in a greenhouse now so not bothered too much about wind and the weather outlook is still on the cool side so they're not going to cook.

nice one, how long will you keep it in the greenhouse for? temps are pretty steady now, daytime highs of 10-17 on average for next two weeks. but still a bit of a light breeze, so ive held off bringing newly re potted maples out yet.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll keep this one in the greenhouse for until I know its growing and its well considering the work that's been done on it. Some of the other maples that I've re potted so far are now out in the sun after a few weeks:
IMG_1897.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll keep this one in the greenhouse for until I know its growing and its well considering the work that's been done on it. Some of the other maples that I've re potted so far are now out in the sun after a few weeks:
View attachment 233888

Hot gravy!!! Looking good. Enjoy!!:cool:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 233888
Really love your collection.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I wish you the best for your clump. You have put a lot of effort on it and I do hope it will reward you with all your care.
... ...Some of the other maples that I've re potted so far are now out in the sun after a few weeks:
How much sun are they getting, may I ask.
What is their orientation?
Are you worried about sun scorching on them?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If I can ask...sun and Maples...does the sun only burn maples on really hot days or can it be problem all the time. I am trying some Maples this year, some single trees and several forests. What should I watch for in regards to the sun and temps? Thanks!

D

Deleted member 21616

@Drew any more pics of the multi-trunk in the cream pot? :eek:

Thank you!
D

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If I can ask...sun and Maples...does the sun only burn maples on really hot days or can it be problem all the time. I am trying some Maples this year, some single trees and several forests. What should I watch for in regards to the sun and temps? Thanks!
Leaf burn is the result of not enough water to the leaves. This can happen almost any time if there is not enough water for the tree to keep the leaves hydrated so watering is just as important as sun exposure. As temps increase it seems that many maples just cannot send enough water up to the leaves, even if there is plenty in the soil. That's where shade starts to become necessary. Just how hot and how long sun exposure will vary depending where you are, how you water, soil mix, size of the pot and many other factors.
Sunburn can also occur when leaves that are not sun hardy are suddenly exposed to sun. After defoliating outer leaves I often see burnt leaves because the interior leaves have been shaded and are not sun hardy.
Burnt leaves may look untidy but it is not a death sentence for your maples. Partly burnt leaves will continue to collect sunlight and convert food for the plant. Badly burnt leaves will usually fall and fresh ones will grow to support the tree. This measn you can experiment with sun exposure and watering regime to find something that works without too much fear of killing your trees.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish you the best for your clump. You have put a lot of effort on it and I do hope it will reward you with all your care.How much sun are they getting, may I ask.
What is their orientation?
Are you worried about sun scorching on them?
my garden is south east facing.
no I'm not worried about sun scorching, I live in London, England and we struggle to get a sun burn on the best of days here! the sun just isn't that intense especially this time of year as its mostly overcast. They are also quite sheltered from the wind.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you very much for your answer.
Yes, it is so much different between London and Athens even if hardiness zone may be similar :)

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Drew, sure like the multiple trunk planting in the yellow pot, and the pot is great also. If you know, when that was initially planted with all those trees, does one have to angle them towards the outside or do they just naturally do that verses growing straight up? Help appreciated. Thanks, Peter

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. What's the next step?
Let it grow for now may try and keep a few of the smaller trees in check. I would like to thicken up the main tree and its second trunk a bit so will let that grow out freely (maybe for a few years). Will wire and cut back the other trunks for branch and apex building in the winter when I can see what I'm doing.

Tinyjames

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Drew well done I thought at the start of this he's left it to late those tree's will die but holly s**t they look amazing well done I'm making a forest from Japenese Maples next year (9 trees( wish me luck

Top Bottom