Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
20190613_111807.jpg
20190613_112006.jpg
20190613_112049.jpg
20190613_112133.jpg
All my slow growing maples are still solid red, most of these came from the large lace leaf I posted.
20190613_111847.jpgThis One I'm not so sure about.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to see they are making it. I seen 3 maybe more seedlings growing at a house down the street, I know it’s a bad time but I’m going to see if I can have them. If I don’t they may just hack them down or weed them, so why not. I will just keep them in the shade this year till they grow bigger.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can "collect" plants almost any time you have to. It is unlikely that the resident wants those seedlings, but ask anyway. The worst that can happen is they say , "no", and it's more likely that they will deal with the "weeds" harshly without a thought. If you polled the rabble here, you'd get votes for collecting every month of the year. Take a sack of dirt with you and larger vessels to put the trees in. Get a substantial amount of soil that the seedlings are growing in so you don't have to disturb the roots any more than you must. Save the rough handling for later when you can do it in a more controlled fashion and at a time of your choosing. Use the soil you bring to fill in the holes so neatly that they will welcome you back next year!

By-the-way, my vote for best collecting is June, after the first flush of growth is mature, but early enough in the growing season for the plant to have some real growth after the shock of collecting before entering the rest period of autumn.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, I was wandering if I should take enough soil or not. I didn’t want to completely bare root though, hopefully they will say yes they are an older couple so I don’t see why they want them. So when you say best time to collect is June, you mean like this kind of collecting. I thought it was a bad time to collect after bud break, I mean there are some hornbeam I want at my friends house but I thought I had to wait early spring next year?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I collect all the time now... i do occasional yard work for people in the area and just take whatever "weeds" they want me to remove. Get paid to do it too.

I keep a flat container in the car with some dirt in it and misting bottle. Works great.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks, I was wandering if I should take enough soil or not. I didn’t want to completely bare root though, hopefully they will say yes they are an older couple so I don’t see why they want them. So when you say best time to collect is June, you mean like this kind of collecting. I thought it was a bad time to collect after bud break, I mean there are some hornbeam I want at my friends house but I thought I had to wait early spring next year?
I collect seedlings any time during active growing collecting as much root as possible and bare root. Haven't lost any seedlings from collection yet. Got enough sweet gum seedlings now to work on a forest.

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Has anyone grown seeds from a Golden Full Moon?
I know it won’t be same as parent; but, just wanted to see the results and variation... since it isn’t a palmatum, might be different??

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Has anyone grown seeds from a Golden Full Moon?
I know it won’t be same as parent; but, just wanted to see the results and variation... since it isn’t a palmatum, might be different??
Anything that is "open pollinated" is going to be a mixed lot, just like your own human children. Most will look like Mom (the pod parent), except when Mom is a cultivar, which will have seedlings like the type, in this case Acer shirasawanum. That said, there will be some children who are better endowed than the lot. I have had the foresight to have no fewer than 11 Japanese Maples in my yard including a Golden Full Moon, Autumn Full Moon, and the species. I am gifted this year, ~first time ever~ with a full-tilt boogie crop as pictured. Ta Daaaaa...
Golden Full Moon 061219.JPG

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice Golden Full Moon!

Mine is still a baby 1-2yr sapling, only 23" tall. Actually just bought it 2 weeks ago. A baby, but it already has 3 or 4 seed pods.
I will wait until the leaves fall off, and then plant them this autumn/winter.

Last edited:

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I went to the house that I saw had three seedling growing in the bushes and turns out they were pretty cool and said take all you can find. Well on my way to knock on the door I estimated 10, I was so excited. When I went to get wife and help me dig them, well we collected 56. So meeting new neighbors and getting free maples, that’s a win win in my book. 7F853A29-5BC4-4C9F-A832-BBF7DCD9F904.jpeg

D

Deleted member 21616

beautilful @Jcmmaple

do you happen to know (at least vaguely) what the parents are? dwarves, dissectums, uprights? 56 seedlings are good odds in the palmatum lottery! you're sure to find something special

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The parent tree is just a red Japanese maple. Some of the seeds however have some dissectum and japonicum leafs. It’s definitely a honey hole for next year.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like you have at least five generations. Good Show! Ask yourself what these are worth to you and return a gift of a pie or a cake or whatever to the people. If you do this right, they will look forward to your yearly visits. Think about the fact that you have significant trade bait for acquiring stuff from other bonsaiists...

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I went to the house that I saw had three seedling growing in the bushes and turns out they were pretty cool and said take all you can find. Well on my way to knock on the door I estimated 10, I was so excited. When I went to get wife and help me dig them, well we collected 56. So meeting new neighbors and getting free maples, that’s a win win in my book. View attachment 247974
Could u try for a pic of the parent tree?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have more JPM now than you want or need. You can trade to other locals for what they have. Bonsai Empire has a list of clubs in NC. Most clubs have regular metings and club auctions and eNewsletters that you can advertise for free to sell or trade bonsai stuff. If there are no clubs in your immediate area, ~start one! Put notes on the bulletin boards of local nurseries and any other place that might be frequented by closet bonsaiists. Often those boards have size limits on your posting, so make the word bonsai as big as possible and the rest of the message in the remaining space available. Nurseries will be cooperative even if they don't have a bulletin board, they should let you put one at their entrance. Ask the other clubs to let you keep a notice in their newsletter that you are starting a club in your area. You can rotate meetings at each other's house until you get too many members.

Make a growing bed if you have the space. Put the trees in plastic pots cut off to the height of a generous bonsai pot. Sink those in the ground for 2 1/2 years, not 3 whole years ( two full summers, repot up to the next size in the following spring). Mulch the beds with grass clippings and chopped leaves in autumn. They will fill the pot with roots and some roots will escape through the holes. Chop the escaped roots off and reduce the inner roots by bosai standards: remove ~50 to 66% of large anchor roots and retain as many as possible tiny, hair-like feeder roots, repot up and sink again. The pots will keep your root systems much more economical than letting them spread in the ground. You get the best of both worlds, ~cool roots in normal growing conditions and semi-containerized control. Keep your eyes open for plastic containers that lend themselves to your purposes. The world is lousy with plastic containers, they're at the curb every trash day, usually nice and clean in a separate container. You can cut them off at an appropriate height and drill holes in the bottom, but it's easier to melt holes by heating a nail red hot in vice grips with a Bernzomatic butane torch. JPM forests are wounderful bonsai. Here's one with seedlings about twenty years in training.
Ap f 2018_0821AABSshow20180006a.JPG

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Leaf variation is so different in those idk if theyd be ideal for a forest planting, but I'd never let someone tell me how many Japanese maples I want or need 🤨

Top Bottom