Japanese maple from seed

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the info, I will keep my eyes open. I thought about a growing bed, diy didn’t think about shallow pots.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Leaf variation is so different in those idk if theyd be ideal for a forest planting,

If the leaves are slightly different in colour, I think it could be interesting for a forest planting, but the shapes and the sizes are often different, that's the problem. Once again, size matters...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Jcmmaple has 56 seedlings. Somehow, he should be able to find 13 or so similar enough for a forest. It would be astounding to have that many with more than 3 or 4 appearances.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well hopefully it the little ones survive the dig I will definitely try a forest, I need to study more on the process though. I have a lot of different sizes so we will see. Any tips?

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
When's the best time to pluck those seeds and plant them? After the leaves fall in late-autumn/early-winter?
I'm excited to plant the (very few) seeds from my golden full moon sapling :D
There are 3 pairs of seeds! (6 seeds)
lol

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it’s best right before they are completely brown. I am going to make a grow bed this year for them in the shade, It’s an experiment. I have what looks like 1000+ seeds on my bloodgood, so no big loss if it doesn’t work.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We've had some pretty hot weather out here lately and with the heat all the new leaves shrivel up very quickly so I'm considering planting a few in the ground since bonsai soil doesn't seem to hold enough moisture till I find a solid mix

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All God's seedlings need protection from the elements until they toughen up. Japanese Maples in particular still get fried leaves when they're 100 years old. It is an under-story tree.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All God's seedlings need protection from the elements until they toughen up. Japanese Maples in particular still get fried leaves when they're 100 years old. It is an under-story tree.
Well the parent trees are full sun no leaf scorch and the old leaves on my trees are fine , only the new leaves scorch. I planted em in the ground today in partial sun an was gifted some rain right after. Could be the roots gettin too hot in black containers IDK for sure but I feel they'll recovery strong.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Could be the roots gettin too hot in black containers IDK for sure
I just don't understand why people, such as you, can/will not spend $15 (maybe less) on a meat thermometer probe and stick it in the roots and know whether they are hotter than 95F or not.

Never mind.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just don't understand why people, such as you, can/will not spend $15 (maybe less) on a meat thermometer probe and stick it in the roots and know whether they are hotter than 95F or not.

Never mind.
Well the weather has been hotter than 95 so... And a meat thermometer wasn't part of my bonsai starter pack mr. Condescending genius. Suggestions made kindly not derogatorily are considered potentially useful while you're obviously trolling to boost your self esteem

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use a full length storm door screen for shade that I lay on top of my wire mesh seed growing bed. (Not shown here) Not only does it have to be rabbit and bird proof, but sun proof, too, because many gold seedlings of Beech and Dogwood are just as crispy-ized as Japanese Maples in the noon day sun.

Attachments

• 2019_0413Tour20190228.JPG
    2019_0413Tour20190228.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 2019_0413Tour20190229.JPG
    2019_0413Tour20190229.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 52

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The old crop all died. Transplant complications and critters ect but I kept going so ill resurrect this thread. I found that by burying the pots inside of larger pots with old substrate they grow better during the growing season and have a better chance of surviving the winter. Burying pots in the ground hasn't faired well for me (critters as previously stated) so I found a method that works for me. These trees are all about 2 years old. I wired the first season and was carefully to avoid bite marks then I did the same this year. In spring I plan to find some suitable training pots and transplant.

20221123_130530.jpg20221123_130808.jpg20221123_130814.jpg20221123_130540.jpg

Top Bottom