Japanese Maple from Wal-Mart Advice Needed

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I thought Frozen was going to be a funny movie about a anowman, so naturally my son and I felt totally tricked by my wife and daughter about 3 minutes into it at the movie theater.šŸ˜œ. Spoiler alert, itā€™s a freakinā€™ princess moviešŸ˜‚
Itā€™s a BAD-ASS princess movie!!

šŸ¤“

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do any of these have potential?

Attachments

• D8FA4695-F4B2-47BC-B04F-0A4F083FCE66.jpeg
    D8FA4695-F4B2-47BC-B04F-0A4F083FCE66.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 6F51CE9B-3766-4D77-A935-9113DA8F93C3.jpeg
    6F51CE9B-3766-4D77-A935-9113DA8F93C3.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 1D46ACE1-6F21-40F5-B757-4FEF97934DF7.jpeg
    1D46ACE1-6F21-40F5-B757-4FEF97934DF7.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 37

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would pick up the first one with the root spread in the third pic. Grow it out several years and then air layer right above where you will do the first chop.
I guess when I resize the pics it flips them. This is the one I believe you are referring to.

Attachments

• 707F039E-64C2-4723-B8FC-DF42E1165F74.jpeg
    707F039E-64C2-4723-B8FC-DF42E1165F74.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
my understanding was most maples from big box stores are grafted.
It really depends. Several cultivars reproduce very well from cuttings and some of the chains here carry 5-10 different ones, cutting grown. I always look at them to see which ones they have. I now have orange dream, red wine, little princess and I think pink butterfly from there, all cutting grown. Trick is then to verify the roots in-store. I have stopped buying them with bad roots. I rather wait for the next batch.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really wish we had a Walmart, it seems to be the ā€œfind anything you can think ofā€ store for the US.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really wish we had a Walmart, it seems to be the ā€œfind anything you can think ofā€ store for the US.
I am happy we do not have it. The small unique stores have a hard time as it is to stay alive. Do you really want 3 national / international brands to dominate the shopping streets?

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am happy we do not have it. The small unique stores have a hard time as it is to stay alive. Do you really want 3 national / international brands to dominate the shopping streets a hard time as it is to stay alive. Do you really want 3 national / international brands to dominate the shopping streets
yeah ok good point. Besides our ā€œpeople of Walmartā€ would not be nearly as exotic šŸ˜‚

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It really depends. Several cultivars reproduce very well from cuttings and some of the chains here carry 5-10 different ones, cutting grown. I always look at them to see which ones they have. I now have orange dream, red wine, little princess and I think pink butterfly from there, all cutting grown. Trick is then to verify the roots in-store. I have stopped buying them with bad roots. I rather wait for the next batch.
I can't wait to start cuttings on my Orange Dream!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When I joined the Army back 20+ yrs ago I got my first set of orders for Europe. At that time the main entry way into Europe was Rhein Main. I remember going out and seeing Walmart's around, and I thought it was weird to see them there. Walmart did make it there, but it didn't catch on like it did in the US they eventually closed the stores.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
its an amazing place for price and selection. a little nutty in there though, def sweatpants brigade central (watch a lot of my tax money paying for people and items in there)

king of retail (pioneers of wholesale retail) and prob future of healthcare in this country along with walgreens and cvs

@Pitoon thanks for your service, for real

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well if anyone wants a good laugh, just do a google search for 'People of Walmart'

.......................amazing the life that walks among us!!!!!!!!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Well if anyone wants a good laugh, just do a google search for 'People of Walmart'

i remember my dad telling me he went to neighboring town stop and shop or walmart recently and it seemed like a third world country to him. no english.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Oh I know, I love those YouTube videos of the people of Walmart.

Top Bottom